Old February 4th 07, 12:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default A simple way to crack VBA password in Excel file

Unbelivibale, but I found a very simple way that really works!

Do the follwoing:

1. Create a new simple excel file.
2. In the VBA part, set a simple password (say - 1234).
3. Save the file and exit.
4. Open the file you just created with a simple editor.
5. Copy the lines starting with the following keys:

CMG=....
DPB=...
GC=...

6. with a simple editor (again), open the excel file you don;t know
the VBA password for,
and paste the above copied lines from the dummy file.
7. save the excel file and exit.
8. Now, open the excel file you need to see the VBA code in. The
password for the VBA code
will simply be 1234 (as in the example I'm showing here).

Simply works...

Enjoy!

Alen

Old February 4th 07, 12:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

--- ?

Old February 4th 07, 03:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You say simple editor, but I think it has to be a hex editor.
It won't for example work if you do this in Wordpad.
I have tried it with MadEdit and in that it works indeed.
I knew it was easy to crack these passwords, but I didn't know it was this
easy.

RBS

ups.com...

Old February 4th 07, 04:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Alen,

I have followed the steps.

I have used Notepad as the editor.

I copy the lines from the dummy file on top of the same lines of the file I
need the password for (target file).

Then I save this file with Notepad using Ctrl+S (not save as)

My problem is that when I try to open this file in Excel I get

"book2.xls" cannot be accessed. The file may be read only. Or you may be
trying to access a read only location. Or the server the document is stored
on may not be responding.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Antonio

Old February 4th 07, 04:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You have to do this in a HEX editor.

Hopefully you didn't need that file or made a copy of it (or it was just a
play/test file). I think you can assume it is ruined.

Tom Ogilvy

Old February 4th 07, 06:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank you.

I did try on a test file.

It works.

Quite handy.

Old February 4th 07, 09:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Feb 4, 8:00 pm, wrote:
[...]

D/ALLEN
First of all my appreciation for your genorosity in sharing with ur
find. First time it was all greek. I read it over and over again to
ustand a bit. Now i got the hex editor xvi32. I ran it and did as u
told. When i opened the excel file in the hex editor-- there was
three screens, one small to the left, and next two big ones. in the
thrid one only ascii characters. But i did not find what u said like
CMG=....
DPB=...
GC=...

Then i clicked on the tools on xvi32 and opened the editor. i got
only four characters.

So can u adopt the approach - ALLEN STEPS FOR DUMMIES--. Pls explain
it in little more detail especially since I cant find the CMG=....
DPB=... GC=.... I think I am not opening it in the right screen.
Pls advice