Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Saving 2003 Excel file on Excel 97

I have an excel file originally created on excel 97 but since we
already migrated to excel 2003, changes have been made on file on
excel 2003. Not all people have excel 2003 yet so the file has to
opened on excel 97. But when people try to save the file there is an
annoying message that appears everytime you hit the save button on
excel 97 saying in order to save on the original file (97) you have to
save as.. I did save as the file and even change the save as type but
still when I open the saved as file it still shows the annoying
message. Does anyone knows how to get around with this?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It sounds to me like the workbook is marked readonly.

When the xl97 user opens the file, do they see [Read Only] in the titlebar?

This can be because of a windows explorer setting (rightclick and choose
properties|uncheck Readonly on the General tab)

Or if the user only has readaccess to the folder/drive that holds that workbook
file, then excel will respect that and open the file readonly, too.

--

Dave Peterson