Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Sort groups of 5 columns by the first column in each group

Hi group, been scratching my bonce for a while and I can't crack this
one.....

I have a worksheets containing pupils' exam results.

For each exam that the pupils take thier results go into a group of
fourcolumns, in the following order
date, % score, grade, target grade

There are around 10 of these groupings, one for each exam that pupils
take in the course of a year.

I would like to be able to sort the groups of columns by date, keeping
the four related columns adjacent to each other, so that they appear
in the order that pupils took them, rather than

there are blank columns where pupils have not taken exams yet, and
blank results within columns where a pupils was absent for a test.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Tony

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Basically, you would need to insert a row above the or below each pupil and
fill it with the date of the exam in all 4 columns of each group. Then sort
the two rows together (select only the area of the rows involved in the sort)
using the row with the dates as the key row. In the sort dialog, you would
need to go to options and choose left to right.

If you are looking for a macro to do this, you would need to send me a
representative file so I can see the layout. Would you want to do it one
student at a time. Process all the students. Would you want the groups for
each student sorted only relative to that student or should they be sorted so
each group is lined up across all students,

in your subject you say 5 columns, but only talk about 4 in the body.

Tom Ogilvy