Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Link porblems

Hello,

I tried posting a similar question in microsoft.public.excel.links a
few days ago, but got no response, so I hope it's OK if I try it here.

I received some xls files from a client, he wants them linked as the
source to a master spreadsheet.

When I set up links to these workbooks, it seems like everything is
ok, but after I close the source file and then try to update the
link, I get a "Unable to read file" message. If I open up the source
file, it works OK. Also, if I save the source file with my version of
Excel (97), then close it, everything works great and I can update the
links with no trouble. A side note, the file size jumps from 11k to
19k when I save it., so I'm sure it's a different version, yet
strangly enough, I don't get the "This file was created in a later
version . . " message. Do you think this is a version issue? Also,
is there any way of telling, from the workbooks, what version of Excel
was used in creating them?

Thanks for your help on this.

Regards

DaveU