Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How to find the Expected Value of a PDF

Hello all,

I'm at a loss of how to find an expected value using Excel for my PDF
of *continuous* data. Basically, I have an f(x) function that has
produced exponential values.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

PDF ?
You mean UDF ?

If so, still not sure what you are after. Explain further.

NickHK

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all,

I'm at a loss of how to find an expected value using Excel for my PDF
of *continuous* data. Basically, I have an f(x) function that has
produced exponential values.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

wrote in message

oups.com...

Hello all,

I'm at a loss of how to find an expected value using Excel for my PDF
of *continuous* data. Basically, I have an f(x) function that has
produced exponential values.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

PDF = Probability Density Function

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

p.krembs -

I think you need to provide more details.

Do you have the formula for a probability density function (in which case
you need to use integration to obtain the expected value) ?

And, what do you mean by "an f(x) function that has produced exponential
values" ? Does that mean you have data but not the function that generated
the data?

- Mike
http://www.mikemiddleton.com