Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default converting time as text in formula to get sum of cells

I have programmed a spreadsheet to accept daily hours entered in a1 and
summed in b1.... for 6 days. When I try to create a formula to accept total
sums of c1,f1,i1,l1 and o1. It will not do so for me. I either get a blank
cell or 0.00. I have changed that cell to be a custom of (h):mm:ss, however
it still will not total them for me.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sounds a cell format issue. Try this

Select your range including your addition cell and apply the custom format
of hh:mm:ss

Enter you time in the format 1:20:25 and then add them up with =Sum(a1:a5)
or whatever range they are in.

"cnbcheryl" wrote:

I have programmed a spreadsheet to accept daily hours entered in a1 and
summed in b1.... for 6 days. When I try to create a formula to accept total
sums of c1,f1,i1,l1 and o1. It will not do so for me. I either get a blank
cell or 0.00. I have changed that cell to be a custom of (h):mm:ss, however
it still will not total them for me.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

actually I didn't correctly explain my calculation.... a1 has start time of
7:45 AM, b1 has end time of 6:00 PM thus my c1 cell is the sum of those. My
weekly total is not working as I am asking it to = sum (c1,f1, etc...) and it
is not working as it is telling me it will not read cells that are read as
text, which my c1 cell is formatted as in order to read my times and
calculate them... I am at a loss and have been unable to figure out how to
format the cells to work together....?????

"cnbcheryl" wrote:

I have programmed a spreadsheet to accept daily hours entered in a1 and
summed in b1.... for 6 days. When I try to create a formula to accept total
sums of c1,f1,i1,l1 and o1. It will not do so for me. I either get a blank
cell or 0.00. I have changed that cell to be a custom of (h):mm:ss, however
it still will not total them for me.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sorry now i understand.

In your addition cell set the custom format of
[h]:mm

Note thesee are square brackets.

Mike

"cnbcheryl" wrote:

I have programmed a spreadsheet to accept daily hours entered in a1 and
summed in b1.... for 6 days. When I try to create a formula to accept total
sums of c1,f1,i1,l1 and o1. It will not do so for me. I either get a blank
cell or 0.00. I have changed that cell to be a custom of (h):mm:ss, however
it still will not total them for me.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I would like to show you one line of my worksheet with the formulas that I am
working with and have you look at. Is that possible...? If so please send
me your e-mail address at
Thanks for your time!