Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Combining Cell Contents

You did say "move" the contents of column B so my bad.

Manually:

Select Column A
Insert Column
Select A1
Insert formula =B1&C1
Copy formula to last Row
Copy Column A
PasteSpecial Values
Select Column B & C

With VBA: (probably isn't the best way but works for me)

Sub CombineAandB()
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Columns("A:A").Insert Shift:=xlToRight
Range("A1").FormulaR1C1 = "=B1&C1"
Range("A1:A" & Cells(Rows.Count, "B").End(xlUp).Row).FillDown
Columns("A:A").Select
Selection.Copy
Selection.PasteSpecial xlvalues
Columns("B:C").Select
Selection.Delete
Range("A1").Select
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

"Alan" wrote in message news:...
Hi Tom,

Manually:

Select Column B
Insert Column
Select B1
Insert formula =A1&C1
Copy formula to last Row
Copy Column B
PasteSpecial Values
Select Column A

With VBA: (probably isn't the best way but works for me)

Sub CombineAandB()
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Columns("B:B").Insert Shift:=xlToRight
Range("B1").FormulaR1C1 = "=A1&C1"
Range("B1:B" & Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row).FillDown
Columns("B:B").Select
Selection.Copy
Selection.PasteSpecial xlvalues
Columns("A:A").Select
Selection.Delete
Range("A1").Select
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Both do means do replace the contents in column A.

Alan

"Tom" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

Need help in moving column contents without overwriting existing
contents. Example - Cell A1 contents is "1234/", cell B2 is "55". Want
to move all of column B to column A without overwriting the cells in
column A. In example cell A1 would end up reading "1234/55".

Thanks,
Tom