Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How do I insert barcodes from a scanner into Excel cells?

Sounds like a difficult question to answer without knowing anything
about the scanner. If it has a USB cable (and how could it communicare
with your machine if it didn't?) then it probably comes with software
designed to handle the scanner's output. It would be surprising if
such software didn't have an option which allowed the user to
sequentially scan items while entering some data describing each item
scanned. Such software may even have an option to export to Excel. If
not, it probably at least has some sort of save as text file option,
which can then be moved to Excel (by a macro if you want, or manually
- which shouldn't be too hard). So, I would see if you could first
create a list of items (one book per item) with the scanner's software
and then transfer the list in one fell swoop to Excel.

HTH

-John Coleman

On Jan 27, 3:15 am, Technotrepid
wrote:
I want to create a database of books based on the ISBN coding on the jacket.
It would be great if the process was semi-automatic using a macro to quicken
the entry procedure but allow a pause to enter title, author, etc.

Is there an easy way of capturing the barcode from a scanner and
automatically inserting those values directly into Excel cells?