Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default closing dummy file

Dear group,

A former discussion about how to delete the message on opening the file
(links to other worksheets) was great for my problem. Tom suggested to
create a dummy file, which opens the other file and which suppresses
the message. Here's the link:

dummy file: A
other file (with message to be suppressed): B

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...bc4642b707c7d7

Now, as I know my users, they will complain that there is another file
opened. How can I close that one again? It appears that in B Auto_Open
does not work anymore... so I had to include those lines also in A's
Auto_Open.

At which point shall I close A? After opening B (disabled Auto_Open in
B -- how can it be done automatically then?)? Or do you know a way to
close A when user closes B (automatically closing A).

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Rico

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Doesn't something like this work?:

Sub auto_open()
Workbooks.Open "BookWithLinkFormula.xls", False
ThisWorkbook.Close False

Jim
"ricowyder" wrote in message
ps.com...
| Dear group,
|
| A former discussion about how to delete the message on opening the file
| (links to other worksheets) was great for my problem. Tom suggested to
| create a dummy file, which opens the other file and which suppresses
| the message. Here's the link:
|
| dummy file: A
| other file (with message to be suppressed): B

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...bc4642b707c7d7

| Now, as I know my users, they will complain that there is another file
| opened. How can I close that one again? It appears that in B Auto_Open
| does not work anymore... so I had to include those lines also in A's
| Auto_Open.
|
| At which point shall I close A? After opening B (disabled Auto_Open in
| B -- how can it be done automatically then?)? Or do you know a way to
| close A when user closes B (automatically closing A).
|
| Thanks for your help.
|
| Best regards,
|
| Rico

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Btw, if you and your users have Excel 2002 or later you do not need to use a
dummy file. With file B open use Edit, Links, Startup Prompt to control the
message. This setting will not be observed or preserved in earlier Excel
versions however.

--
Jim
ps.com...