Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Registry Location for References in VBe

Does anyone know which key in the Registry key holds the references for
DLL's and TLB's?

I'm still trying to repair a broken Reference and cannot get rid of it. It
will not accept a "Check" and gives "Error in loading DLL" message.

Can you help with this please Tom Ogilvy? It looks as tho' you have worked
on this topic before!!
Thanks in advance
Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Mike,
You could try checking if any of the dependencies of that references are
missing.
Get Dependency Walker, http://www.dependencywalker.com/.

NickHK

"Mike McNeill" wrote in message
Does anyone know which key in the Registry key holds the references for
DLL's and TLB's?

I'm still trying to repair a broken Reference and cannot get rid of it. It
will not accept a "Check" and gives "Error in loading DLL" message.

Can you help with this please Tom Ogilvy? It looks as tho' you have worked
on this topic before!!
Thanks in advance
Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for looking at this Nick -
I should have put more detail in there!! I am using Windows XP Pro and
Office 2000.

The specific .TLB file is present in the "correct" folder and I have
replaced it with the original supplied by the parent application from CDROM.

Just run dependency check on the TLB file and get "Error....not a valid 32
bit or 64 bit module". Also same error for older TLB files (for the same
application) that I know have referenced correctly in the past.

The path to this file has always shown correctly in the Reference window
(and referenced correctly) until the file was moved and path broken.
Firstly trying to reload it via the Browse button from its new path gave no
change and subsequently a runtime failure to recognise a specific referenced
class.
Then after a close and reopen with a workbook that has run these macros
correctly in the past, the same runtime error occurred and the path shown
for the TLB file in Tools - References was now the path for the workbook;
there wasn't a TLB file there.

That is where I am at, with seemingly no way of removing or repairing this
reference. I recall that in the past, somebody explained where the entries
were in the Registry and paths could be corrected in there. Unfortunately I
did not make a note of the Key and now cannot locate it!

Some earlier posts suggested using VBA code for the VBE application to
overwrite the reference and then activate it, but my early attempts to do
this have failed with error messages.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks again - Mike

"NickHK" wrote in message
Mike,
You could try checking if any of the dependencies of that references are
missing.
Get Dependency Walker, http://www.dependencywalker.com/.

NickHK

"Mike McNeill" wrote in message
Does anyone know which key in the Registry key holds the references for
DLL's and TLB's?

I'm still trying to repair a broken Reference and cannot get rid of it.
It
will not accept a "Check" and gives "Error in loading DLL" message.

Can you help with this please Tom Ogilvy? It looks as tho' you have
worked
on this topic before!!
Thanks in advance
Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If the component is ActiveX, try unregistering it, the register again. From
the StartRun:
regsvr32.exe /u Path&FilenamOfComponent
regsvr32.exe Path&FilenamOfComponent

RegClean from MS can clear bogus Reg entries. Although it's not supported by
MS, I have not had problems with it, although keep the Undo file in case.
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...scription.html

As for finding the Reg entry, you can search for the entry (e.g.
acrobat.tlb) and see what the path for that file is stored in the Registry.

"NickHK" wrote in message
Mike,
You could try checking if any of the dependencies of that references are
missing.
Get Dependency Walker, http://www.dependencywalker.com/.

NickHK

"Mike McNeill" wrote in message
Does anyone know which key in the Registry key holds the references for
DLL's and TLB's?

I'm still trying to repair a broken Reference and cannot get rid of it.
It
will not accept a "Check" and gives "Error in loading DLL" message.

Can you help with this please Tom Ogilvy? It looks as tho' you have
worked
on this topic before!!
Thanks in advance
Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks again Nick

Regclean did not sort it out but the undo file provided the clue to the
Registry location!!
Local Machine software classes typelib...
The Reference Name was there but the path to the .tlb file was missing.
Modifying the data fixed it!
I must make a note of this for next time!

Thanks for discussing it and "switching the light on"
Happy Christmas and a Good New Year.
Mike