Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Can't find project or library

This is the whole problem. *No* reference is marked as missing. We are
left with nothing that can help us find the error.

"Alok" wrote:

Hi Tyrone

When you get this message you need to go to the VB IDE and look at
Tools/References. One or more references will be marked as 'Missing'. This
normally happens when the developer has developed the Excel solution against
a given library and the machine does not have that library (usually a DLL).
Most often the DLL can be found on another computer or another version of the
DLL may exist. for instance if the developer has developed against version
10.00 but the machine happens to have version 11.0 of that library, the
problem is fixed by just selecting version 11.0 and selecting OK in the
references dialog box.

Alok

"Tyrone" wrote:

I am supporting several users who are using a fairly elaborate system of
Excel VBA code. Some of it is in individual spreadsheets, some more in
add-ins written in-house, some more in third-party add-ins. These reference
other DLLs written either in-house or purchased from third parties. The
spreadsheets have elaborate vlookups, hlookups etc. that reference each
other, and do calculations based on each other's values.

Such a system is, of course, a maintenance headache. One of the most cursed
error messages around here is the infamous "Can't find project or library".

Which project or library can't it find? Where is it being referenced from?
What cell's formula set off this error? We don't know. A References dialog
will pop up, but nothing is marked as missing. Without knowing what
reference is missing, the dialog is virtually useless. The most I can do is
open VBE and try to compile the current project; but if this works (and it
usually does) we're left with nothing.

The only other solution is to manually search thousands of lines of code,
and thousands of formulas in cells.

There's got to be a better way than this. Yes, we shouldn't have built it
this way in the first place, but we did. Even then, can Excel really do no
better than "Can't find project or library"? Can it not tell us *which* one
is missing?