Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default auto-open macro lost within workbook

A few years back, I built a large XL97 spreadsheet which includes a
macro called "CreateMenu" that inserts a custom pull-down item in the
menu bar. The macro runs and creates the menu items when the file is
opened, and runs again when the file is closed. I've used this macro on
several workbooks, and in every other case I can find a macro named
"CreateMenu()" as a step in the AutoOpen macro and a macro named
"DeleteMenu()" as a step in the AutoClose macro.

I want to revise the menu items on this large XL97 spreadsheet, but I
can't find the macro. There is no reference to the a menu macro in the
AutoClose macro, and there is no AutoOpen macro that I can see. Somehow
the access to those macros seems to have gotten lost as the file has
migrated from machine to machine to machine with each upgrade. I also
can't find any links to any other workbooks. There are no worksheets,
columns or workbooks to "unhide." I figure that if I can find the
AutoOpen macro, it would should me the link to the menu creation macro.

any ideas of where it might be hinding?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I would do this, assuming the menu is still showing up which it sounds like
it is.
1st open vb and select thisworkbook choose Workbook from the left dropdown
and open from the second, this should take you to the code that does the
business.
If that doesn't work then from the excel spreadsheet select the run macro
button and see if it is in that list.
Next, check the add-ins and see if somebody at some point saved it as an add
in.
Finally if all else fails, in vb open each sheet and ctl-f and search for
menu, the code really has to be there somewhere if it is still opening.
--
-John
is helpful.

"windsurferLA" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dave .& John .. maybe my lost menu macro is related to my date problem
that Dave addressed in the general EXCEL board, but I suspect not.
Unlike the date option which works correctly when moved from my DELL to
IBM computers, the lost menu macro is also no where to be found when
opened on the IBM.

I've searched the project for "Auto_Open" without success using find.
the procedure does find the "Auto_Close" macro. What I find really
strange is that the "DeleteMenu" macro is not shown in the Auto_Close
macro, even though it undoubtedly is executed. I've check again and
again, and "Auto_Open" macro is not shown in the list of macros that you
can RUN even when you don't restrict list to those in the open workbook.

Your guess that I'm using Walkenbach's menumaker is correct. My son has
latched onto as well for his Excel workbooks.

My solution to this problem is going to be just to copy all the data and
macros into a new workbook, and reconfigure everything. It is
intellectually challenging to try to figure out what is happening, but I
think it will be faster to go back a rebuild spreadsheet.

Thanks for help.