Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default 3D column chart

Hi:
The first series in a 3D column chart is a lot less than 1%. It shows
up as a gray blur on the floor even though the color of the series is
white. This happens because the 3d shading on top is gray.

Is there a way to address only the top rectangle of each bar column and
remove the shading within that series?

The only way I have been able to get around this so far is saving a
white bmp in Paint. Then I import the texture and apply it.
With ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(6)
.Fill.UserTextured TextureFile:= _
"C:\temp\white.bmp"
.Fill.Visible = True
End With

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Consider whether a 3D column chart is a reasonable chart type for your data.
Or for any data. In general, 3D charts are worse at showing data accurately
and people are worse at reading them accurately. What kind of 2D charts also
can show this data?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"canbya" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi:
The first series in a 3D column chart is a lot less than 1%. It shows
up as a gray blur on the floor even though the color of the series is
white. This happens because the 3d shading on top is gray.

Is there a way to address only the top rectangle of each bar column and
remove the shading within that series?

The only way I have been able to get around this so far is saving a
white bmp in Paint. Then I import the texture and apply it.
With ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(6)
.Fill.UserTextured TextureFile:= _
"C:\temp\white.bmp"
.Fill.Visible = True
End With

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for the idea, but already been there, done that, and it didn't
fly with the user.
There is an idea that it must be 3d to be "modern". And to give them
credit, it does look more visually appealing in 3D, expecially with
gradiant.

So, I take it there is no other way to turn off the top shading on a 3d
column. Good thing there is texture overlay.
Cheers

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

My condolences on the user's poor taste. 3D charts can obfuscate the data,
and gradients merely cloud the issue further. I quit a project because the
user insisted on reusing their old 3D charts, with formatting selected to
match the default charts in PowerPoint. The Project Manager had approved my
redesign and I was 3/4 finished when some VP objected.

I know of no way to get what you want, because I haven't wasted enough time
on 3D charts to have found it.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP