Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel 'database'

Hi Guys,

Just posing a small and potentially simple question (well not to me!)

I have made a tiny excel 'program' that looks at the contents of its
sheet and then returns the answer from it, and through it you can add
new entries to the sheet (sheet1).

Now if I wanted to share this with others, how could I have one central
file that we all can open and add to and see each others additions? At
the moment what is on my sheet will not be on someone elses sheet
obviously but I would really like us to all see the same info that each
other has put in. Im sure there is a simple way to do this but I cant
fathom it, its kinda like wanting excel to be access!

Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi
The obvious answer is to simply all use one file on a shared drive?????
Or am I missing something?
regards
Paul

Duncan wrote:

Hi Guys,

Just posing a small and potentially simple question (well not to me!)

I have made a tiny excel 'program' that looks at the contents of its
sheet and then returns the answer from it, and through it you can add
new entries to the sheet (sheet1).

Now if I wanted to share this with others, how could I have one central
file that we all can open and add to and see each others additions? At
the moment what is on my sheet will not be on someone elses sheet
obviously but I would really like us to all see the same info that each
other has put in. Im sure there is a simple way to do this but I cant
fathom it, its kinda like wanting excel to be access!

Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Paul,

Yep, you are right in what you are saying, but I want to all be able to
use the file and how can we do that?

After further thought I am thinking my code should look to this one
file for its data instead of looking within itself, but am unsure of
how to code that, any ideas?

Many thanks

Duncan

Duncan wrote:

Hi Guys,

Just posing a small and potentially simple question (well not to me!)

I have made a tiny excel 'program' that looks at the contents of its
sheet and then returns the answer from it, and through it you can add
new entries to the sheet (sheet1).

Now if I wanted to share this with others, how could I have one central
file that we all can open and add to and see each others additions? At
the moment what is on my sheet will not be on someone elses sheet
obviously but I would really like us to all see the same info that each
other has put in. Im sure there is a simple way to do this but I cant
fathom it, its kinda like wanting excel to be access!

Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi All,

Have solved the problem,

at the top of each sub that looked to the data I put

Set sourceWB = Workbooks.Open("G:\DATA.xls")
With sourceWB.Sheets("DATA").Range("A1:B100")

---
my normal code here
---

Then at end of sub I put