Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Problem with Network Latency

I have a problem that I believe is being caused by time delays on a network,
and I need to find a workaround.

My workbook has a macro which opens a further workbook, using this line of
code...

Workbooks.Open
Filename:="\\staff-filestore\shared\hu\hu-admin\admin06\DATA.XLS",
ReadOnly:=True

This works for some users and not for others.
All users are already logged in to the same corporate network, all using the
same OS and the same browser and the same version of MSOffice. However, some
computers are newer and faster than others, and some network sections are
limited to 10Mb whereas others are 100Mb.
It seems that a fast computer on a slow network tends to fail on this line
of code, with a "file not found" error. Interestingly, if you enter the
debugger and press f5 (to continue) then the macro runs just fine, which
seems to suggest that the time delay has given the network a chance to
respond.

Is my hypothesis plausible, and if so what can I do to workaround?

--
Adrian D.Bailey, Information and Systems Manager, Dept.Human Sciences
Loughborough University, Loughborough Leics, LE11 3TU, UK.

Community Warden, Storer and Burleigh Areas. Out-of-hours Tel: 01509 563263

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Adrian,
Assuming that you have checked all the normal:
file does exist
path exists
user has permission
network is up

Does it make any difference using mapped drives v. UNC paths ?
What if you do some check (e.g. GetAttr) on the file first ?

NickHK

"Adrian D. Bailey" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The fact that the macro continues successfully indicates that all "the
normal" is good.
It takes some time to test each change that I try out, so for now I'll say
thanks for your thoughts, and I'll write again in a while....