Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
mrt mrt is offline

Default Ribbons / VBA example

Hi there,

Has anyone some experience with modifying the QAT ribbon using VBA and XML
code? If yes, is there some demo code/workbook available?

Thanks

MrT
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I wanted to do that as well but it is not possible/allowed to be done :(

Look at http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms406047.aspx :

The Quick Access Toolbar. Can be authored only in start from scratch mode.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
mrt mrt is offline

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your reply. I'm desperate ... what does "only in start from
scratch mode" mean? I reviewed the information on the Ribbons on the MS pages
and did not understand much of their stuff.

They say "If set to True, the Ribbon hides built-in main tabs and displays a
minimal File menu." What's the use of this mode ??? As I'm not able to do a
demo project for ribbons in VBA, I cannot even do trial and error tests.

It looks that things got much more complex than they were.

I must say, that I'm a big fan of Excel, but I've been very disapointed so
far by Excel 2007, except by the inscrease of the number of columns/rows. We
reported several bugs/problems that are still there in the latest release.
And the documents released so far are very very very techy, even for a techy
like me.

Cheers,

MrT

"StefanKZVB" wrote:

I wanted to do that as well but it is not possible/allowed to be done :(

Look at http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms406047.aspx :

The Quick Access Toolbar. Can be authored only in start from scratch mode.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

What's the use of this mode ???

It's for developers who use Excel as an application platform. They
sometimes want to remove all Excel's built-in menus, etc. and replace them
with their own.

What is it you want to do exactly?

--
Jim
"MrT" wrote in message
| Hi Stefan,
|
| Thanks for your reply. I'm desperate ... what does "only in start from
| scratch mode" mean? I reviewed the information on the Ribbons on the MS
pages
| and did not understand much of their stuff.
|
| They say "If set to True, the Ribbon hides built-in main tabs and displays
| minimal File menu." What's the use of this mode ??? As I'm not able to do
| demo project for ribbons in VBA, I cannot even do trial and error tests.
|
| It looks that things got much more complex than they were.
|
| I must say, that I'm a big fan of Excel, but I've been very disapointed so
| far by Excel 2007, except by the inscrease of the number of columns/rows.
We
| reported several bugs/problems that are still there in the latest release.
| And the documents released so far are very very very techy, even for a
techy
| like me.
|
| Cheers,
|
| MrT
|
| "StefanKZVB" wrote:
|
| I wanted to do that as well but it is not possible/allowed to be done :(
|
| Look at http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms406047.aspx :
|
| The Quick Access Toolbar. Can be authored only in start from scratch
mode.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
mrt mrt is offline

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply.

What's the use of this mode ???

It's for developers who use Excel as an application platform. They
sometimes want to remove all Excel's built-in menus, etc. and replace them
with their own.

I understand. It would make it clearer if you could add this on the online
doc.

What is it you want to do exactly?

Simply add a button to the QAT that allows me to open/close a macro. This is
the best way to have it one click away anytime.

With version 2003 I had that available in the Standard commanbar on the 4rth
position.

Regards,

MrT

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I understand. It would make it clearer if you could add this on the online
doc.

Me?<g

Simply add a button to the QAT that allows me to open/close a macro.

While you can do this manually it cannot be done by macro. There is no
macro interface for modifying the QAT.

The best you can do is, I believe, to settle for a 2-click access to your
macro. You could achieve this by first adding (manually) "Menu Commands" to
the QAT. Then if you run a macro that adds a button to any built-in Excel
menu, it will automatically be added to "Menu Commnds". E.g.:

With CommandBars("File").Controls.Add(msoControlButton, , , , True)
.Caption = "MyBtn"
.OnAction = "MyMacro"
End With

--
Jim
"MrT" wrote in message
| Hi Jim,
|
| Thanks for your reply.
|
| What's the use of this mode ???
|
| It's for developers who use Excel as an application platform. They
| sometimes want to remove all Excel's built-in menus, etc. and replace
them
| with their own.
|
| I understand. It would make it clearer if you could add this on the online
| doc.
|
| What is it you want to do exactly?
|
| Simply add a button to the QAT that allows me to open/close a macro. This
is
| the best way to have it one click away anytime.
|
| With version 2003 I had that available in the Standard commanbar on the
4rth
| position.
|
| Regards,
|
| MrT

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
mrt mrt is offline

The best you can do is, I believe, to settle for a 2-click access to your
macro. You could achieve this by first adding (manually) "Menu Commands" to
the QAT. Then if you run a macro that adds a button to any built-in Excel
menu, it will automatically be added to "Menu Commnds".

You're right. That's a way to do it. The problem is that I need deploy it on
5000 PCs. I can't ask every one to do this manually. My solution is to ask
people not to go for Excel 2007.

Why is it now impossible (or complex) while it used to be easy to code. Is
that progress? I beg the MS developers to add the possibility to add custom
buttons to the QAT.

MrT

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

My solution is to ask people not to go for Excel 2007.

But wait - that's not an MS approved solution!<g

I was in the beta test and people asked about just what you're asking. MS
does not want developers sticking things on the user's QAT. They want users
to add them when they want them. The MS guy got a little huffy about this
saying that if developers hacked a way to do this MS would try to thwart it.
So they're serious.

If you're a developer you're going to have to find a way to come to terms
with the ribbon. I'd forget about the QAT and learn RibbonX. I've worked
out solutions where if my app loads under pre-Excel 2007 it uses Commandbars
and if it's under 2007 it opens an XLAM with Ribbonx markup in it, that
calls back into the main app. Yeah, the complexity level has shot upward,
and maybe it's not progress but we have to learn to live with it.

--
Jim
"MrT" wrote in message
| The best you can do is, I believe, to settle for a 2-click access to your
| macro. You could achieve this by first adding (manually) "Menu
Commands" to
| the QAT. Then if you run a macro that adds a button to any built-in
Excel
| menu, it will automatically be added to "Menu Commnds".
|
| You're right. That's a way to do it. The problem is that I need deploy it
on
| 5000 PCs. I can't ask every one to do this manually. My solution is to ask
| people not to go for Excel 2007.
|
| Why is it now impossible (or complex) while it used to be easy to code. Is
| that progress? I beg the MS developers to add the possibility to add
custom
| buttons to the QAT.
|
| MrT

Deleting items on Ribbons dernspiker Setting up and Configuration of Excel 1 May 6th 10 07:09 PM
Help with Ribbons! AAARGH! JJ[_4_] Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 10 March 20th 10 12:12 PM
Ribbons BigRik Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 September 26th 08 04:11 AM
Ribbons sunshine New Users to Excel 4 September 4th 08 08:42 PM
How to delete ribbons? Skywalker Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 August 31st 07 07:04 PM