Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Filtering by criteria

Greetings all. There may be a simple solution to what I need to do, but I
could not find it in terms I could understand. I have linked sheet2 to a
database view with various data. The view lists a job number, and types of
cable needed for each job. My problem is that my users do not want to see
the job number for every type of cable. For example my source data looks
like this:
JOB# Cable_type Footage
1 LT 24 1000
1 LT 48 500
1 MT 144 500
2 LT 24 1000
2 MT 216 500
On Sheet1 I want to add a column header for each type of cable, then sum the
footage from the footage column on sheet2 where the cable type = sheet1
column heading. Is this possible?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Greg

You data is ideally suited for analysis with a Pivot Table.
Mark your block of dataDataPivot TableNextFinish
Drag Cable Type to the Row area
Drag Footage to the Data Area

If you wanted, you could drag Job# to the Page area, and then use the
dropdown to select an individual Job and see the results for just that
Job. The default on dragging Job# to the Page are will be to show the
result fort All Jobs.

For more help on Pivot tables take a look at the following sites

http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/f...es/pivot1.html

http://www.edferrero.com/Tutorials.aspx

--
Regards