Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Protect Macros From inadvertent Use

I password protected my macros so no one can edit them but, occasionally, I
want to send the file somewhere and I don't want them to be able to even run
the macros, particularly one that takes off all the password protection!

What is the easiest way to ensure they won't be able to run macros, short of
deleting all of them?

Thanks!
Dean

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

At the top of the module where the code resides add

Option Private Module

This will keep all of the sub procedures and functions in the module private
so that they do not show up in the macro list...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Dean" wrote:

I password protected my macros so no one can edit them but, occasionally, I
want to send the file somewhere and I don't want them to be able to even run
the macros, particularly one that takes off all the password protection!

What is the easiest way to ensure they won't be able to run macros, short of
deleting all of them?

Thanks!
Dean

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Depends on how critical the data that you are sending out is. If this is very
confidential then you are going to need to rethink the solution as no matter
what I give you it can be defeated. Code and Excel are both inherently easy
to defeat for anyone with a strong enough desire... In that case you will
need to exprt out the data from this spreadsheet into a new workbook that
contains only what you want the end user to see. Otherwise if it is just a
matter of being protected for convenience then there are a couple of routes
taht we could follow including a password on open that unhides the buttons...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Dean" wrote:

I password protected my macros so no one can edit them but,
occasionally, I
want to send the file somewhere and I don't want them to be able to
even run
the macros, particularly one that takes off all the password
protection!

What is the easiest way to ensure they won't be able to run macros,
short of
deleting all of them?

Thanks!
Dean

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Its not data that needs to be protected, it's mostly, that they don't
corrupt the equations. And we're not looking for total protection, just
enough to deter the non-expert. Is it one of those things by holding down
the shift key, they could defeat?

So, any hints for a password upon opening that will show macro buttons would
be appreciated. Or, failing that, I could probably just delete the
buttons - there's only about 7 of them.

Thanks, much, Jim!
Dean

"Dean" wrote:

I password protected my macros so no one can edit them but,
occasionally, I
want to send the file somewhere and I don't want them to be able to
even run
the macros, particularly one that takes off all the password
protection!

What is the easiest way to ensure they won't be able to run macros,
short of
deleting all of them?

Thanks!
Dean

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

By the way, I assume there is a way to require a password to run each macro
somehow, but it would be better if they could simply be disabled only if and
when I choose to do so, say just before I mail it to someone. I'd rather
not have to supply a password every time that I run them.

Thanks!
Dean