Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Converting text to numbers

Using your posted file, if you want to parse the text in Col_G across into
its numeric components
Example:
G2: 7 651 641

Becomes
G2: 7
H2: 651
I2: 641

Then try this:

Select Col_G
From the Excel main menu:
<data<text to columns
Check: Delimited............click [next]
in the Other box: (hold down the [alt] key...type 0160...release the [alt]
key)
Click [Finish]

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Eirik Sævareid" wrote:

When issuing a report, I have a need for extracting data from a production
control system. The data are being saved in HTML-format, and then saved
into Microsoft Excel.

The numbers then occur stored as text-format in Excel. I have not succeded
when trying to convert them into number-format (the numbers are going to be
used in further calculations). Please see the attached Microsoft
Excel-file. Have anybody the solution for my problem ?

The report is bigger than the sample in the attached spreadsheet.

All help will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Eirik Sævareid

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I forgot to mention....
if you want to fraction to remain a numeric fraction...

Either set the numeric format of the cell to "fraction"
OR
when entering the fraction, precede it with a zero and a space:
e.g. 0 1/4 would have a value of 0.25, but display as 1/4

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Using your posted file, if you want to parse the text in Col_G across into
its numeric components
Example:
G2: 7 651 641

Becomes
G2: 7
H2: 651
I2: 641

Then try this:

Select Col_G
From the Excel main menu:

"Eirik Sævareid" wrote:

When issuing a report, I have a need for extracting data from a production
control system. The data are being saved in HTML-format, and then saved
into Microsoft Excel.

The numbers then occur stored as text-format in Excel. I have not succeded
when trying to convert them into number-format (the numbers are going to be
used in further calculations). Please see the attached Microsoft
Excel-file. Have anybody the solution for my problem ?

The report is bigger than the sample in the attached spreadsheet.

All help will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Eirik Sævareid

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Please excuse my second post....NOT related in any way to your issue and
should have been posted to another thread.

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Using your posted file, if you want to parse the text in Col_G across into
its numeric components
Example:
G2: 7 651 641

Becomes