Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Help with data Comparison

I have the following:
Column A Column B
-------------- ------------
Item Number Price

Column A has duplicate item numbers. How can I find the duplicate Item
numbers and then compare if the duplicate ones have the same price or
not. Can this be done with just one formula or two. Or do you have to
do VB code for this? Someone suggested using a pivot table, but I don't
think that would work, would it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Why not sort on item number as key 1 and Price as key two.

then you could use a formula in column C like

c2 : =if(A2=A3,if(B2<B3),"<==",""),"")

drag fill down the column

If you don't want to alter your sheet, copy it and do your analysis on a
copy.

Tom Ogilvy

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have the following:
Column A Column B
-------------- ------------
Item Number Price

Column A has duplicate item numbers. How can I find the duplicate Item
numbers and then compare if the duplicate ones have the same price or
not. Can this be done with just one formula or two. Or do you have to
do VB code for this? Someone suggested using a pivot table, but I don't
think that would work, would it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks, but that formula only compares it to the top one. Then the last
duplicated item is not compared. Can anyone help, thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks, but that formula only compares it to the top one.

Why do you think that?

Maybe using a pivot table would be easier for you. If an item number has
more than one row associated with it, that would be an indication that all
the prices are not the same for that item number. If you have trouble
stepping through the wizard, don't hesitate to post back and someone might
be able to talk you through it.

Debra Dalgleish
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Tom Ogilvy