Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default how do you turn off overwrite?

I am fairly new to excel, so I'm hoping I am explaining this correctly. I
set up a chart in excel and saved it. My problem is, when I go in and open
the file up, I'm filling the information at the top of the chart, such as the
date, and right after I type the date I have a spot that says Product Name,
so I start to move my cursor over to that spot and whatever key i click on,
Product Name disappears. Thats why I'm thinking I want to turn off
overwrite. Can anyone help me with this?

I did go down below and in my columns and I am able to type in numbers and
nothing disappears there, so its just up top.

This is how it looks on my excel sheet at the top:

Year ________ Product Name ________________

So I go in and want to fill out the lines and as soon as I type in the date,
it erases the Product Name.

Thank you for any help anyone can give me.

Aimee
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This sounds silly, but are you sure that "Year" and "Product Name" are
actually in different cells, or are they both in the same cell.

One way to tell is this. Just select the cell that contains "Year" and
look at the edit bar at the top. Does it contain both "Year" and
"Product Name"? If so, there's the problem.

Hope this helps,
Dom

Aimee R. wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

So if I understand you correctly you want to append to the text that exists
in the cell? Assuming that to be the case then you want to change the setup
of the cells. Put year in on cell and the underline in the adjacent cell
(format the cell with an underline). so for example put "Year" in Cell A1 and
format cell B1 with an underline. Now add the year to cell B1 which will
leave the text in A1 in tact.

Just so we are on the same page there is no such thing as turning off
overwrite. You can append to the end of the cell. Press F2 and you will be
adding text to the end of the cell.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Aimee R." wrote:

[...]

How do you turn off "Save a copy/Overwrite changes" dialog box Nicko Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 4 December 8th 05 05:22 PM
overwrite SP[_3_] Excel Programming 2 April 22nd 05 06:15 PM
Save As Overwrite [email protected] Excel Programming 1 September 15th 04 11:09 PM
Prompt to overwrite Karen[_10_] Excel Programming 2 October 16th 03 08:24 PM
Code to automatically turn on and turn off Track Changes John[_46_] Excel Programming 1 October 7th 03 02:22 AM