Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Complicated formula.......

I have:-

=SUMIF('Issue Analysis'!A:A,AND('Titles List'!A3,'Issue
Analysis'!J:J0,MAX('Issue Analysis'!H:H)),'Issue Analysis'!J:J)

Explanation of what Im trying to do:-

I want to return the value in column J that is highest value of column H,
but if the highest value of column H has a respective column J value of 0,
then look at the preceeding MAX in column H, all based upon the lookup of A3
in the column A.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I know this isn't correct, because I don't understand what you mean by the
lookup of A3, but here's a starter

=INDEX(J1:J1000,MATCH(MAX(IF(J1:J1000<0,(H1:H1000 ))),H1:H1000,0))

which is an array formula, it should be committed with Ctrl-Shift-Enter, not
just Enter.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Matthew Balch" wrote in message
I have:-

=SUMIF('Issue Analysis'!A:A,AND('Titles List'!A3,'Issue
Analysis'!J:J0,MAX('Issue Analysis'!H:H)),'Issue Analysis'!J:J)

Explanation of what Im trying to do:-

I want to return the value in column J that is highest value of column H,
but if the highest value of column H has a respective column J value of 0,
then look at the preceeding MAX in column H, all based upon the lookup of

A3
in the column A.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I was hoping to stay away from array formulas as these seem to 'freeze' excel.

The lookup is the first part of the formula.

Thanks for the other bit, will try and work it myself, if not repost

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Posed this question yesterday. Bob replied but need more help. Driving me
insane (can normally figure out formulas!)

Bobs reply:-

=INDEX('Issue Analysis'!J1:J1000,MATCH(MAX(IF('Issue
Analysis'!J1:J1000<0,('Issue Analysis'!H1:H1000))),'Issue
Analysis'!H1:H1000,0))

What I've got so far:-

=INDEX('Issue Analysis'!$A$3:$J$15000,MATCH($A8,'Issue
Analysis'!$A$3:$A$15000,0),10)

I would now like to add the MAX part of the formula (column J) as
highlighted in Bobs formula.

I would like to, if possible, stay away from array formulas as these seem to
creat lag issues within excel (Why?) and also other users will not know how
to set them with ctrl+shift+enter etc

Thanks in advance