Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default reading cells by name/definition

Hello all,
just wish to know is it possible to read excel cells by their name
instead of cell reference.

i.e. instead of using xlsheet.range(A4).value, can i use
xlsheet.range("my_given_name").value
where A4 is named as my_given_name ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Did you try it? If you did you would answer your own question.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all,
just wish to know is it possible to read excel cells by their name
instead of cell reference.

i.e. instead of using xlsheet.range(A4).value, can i use
xlsheet.range("my_given_name").value
where A4 is named as my_given_name ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

i tried it and it generated an exception citing problems with
"getrange" method

just wish to know is it possible to access a cell content by its name?

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all,
just wish to know is it possible to read excel cells by their name
instead of cell reference.

i.e. instead of using xlsheet.range(A4).value, can i use
xlsheet.range("my_given_name").value
where A4 is named as my_given_name ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Which you didn't mention in your post.

It works, it must be your code somewhere.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

ups.com...

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all,
just wish to know is it possible to read excel cells by their name
instead of cell reference.

i.e. instead of using xlsheet.range(A4).value, can i use
xlsheet.range("my_given_name").value
where A4 is named as my_given_name ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

thanks for the reply bob. but for some reason it is not working
exception thrown refers to this method
excel.worksheet.getrange(object cell1, object cell2)

I am passing the cell name as string to the range method

Bob Phillips wrote:

Which you didn't mention in your post.

It works, it must be your code somewhere.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

ups.com...

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all,
just wish to know is it possible to read excel cells by their name
instead of cell reference.

i.e. instead of using xlsheet.range(A4).value, can i use
xlsheet.range("my_given_name").value
where A4 is named as my_given_name ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I think you will need to post more code if you want a solution mate, we are
working blind.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

ups.com...

Bob Phillips wrote:

Which you didn't mention in your post.

It works, it must be your code somewhere.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

ups.com...

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all,
just wish to know is it possible to read excel cells by their name
instead of cell reference.

i.e. instead of using xlsheet.range(A4).value, can i use
xlsheet.range("my_given_name").value
where A4 is named as my_given_name ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Here is an example demonstrating that it does work

Range("A1").Value = 99
Range("A1").Name = "my_named_range"
MsgBox Range("my_named_range").Value

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

ups.com...

Bob Phillips wrote:

Which you didn't mention in your post.

It works, it must be your code somewhere.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

ups.com...

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all,
just wish to know is it possible to read excel cells by their name
instead of cell reference.

i.e. instead of using xlsheet.range(A4).value, can i use
xlsheet.range("my_given_name").value
where A4 is named as my_given_name ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

String s
s=xlsheet1.Range(Chr(71) & j).Formula
xlsheet2.Range(Chr(67) & 1).Value=s
xlsheet2.Range(Chr(68) & 1).Value=xlsheet1.Range(s).Value

+++++++++++++++++++

the exception is thrown at the last line

System.Runtime.InterOpServices.COMException....... .
at Excel._Wroksheet.get_Range(Object Cell1, Object Cell2)

Bob Phillips wrote:

I think you will need to post more code if you want a solution mate, we are
working blind.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

ups.com...

Bob Phillips wrote:

Which you didn't mention in your post.

It works, it must be your code somewhere.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

ups.com...

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all,
just wish to know is it possible to read excel cells by their name
instead of cell reference.

i.e. instead of using xlsheet.range(A4).value, can i use
xlsheet.range("my_given_name").value
where A4 is named as my_given_name ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Is this VB.Net? Afraid I am not a Netter, so I don't think I can help.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

oups.com...

Bob Phillips wrote:

I think you will need to post more code if you want a solution mate, we

are
working blind.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

ups.com...

Bob Phillips wrote:

Which you didn't mention in your post.

It works, it must be your code somewhere.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

ups.com...

Bob Phillips wrote:

Did you try it? If you did you would answer your own question.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

(replace somewhere in email address with gmail if mailing

direct)

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all,
just wish to know is it possible to read excel cells by their

name
instead of cell reference.

i.e. instead of using xlsheet.range(A4).value, can i use
xlsheet.range("my_given_name").value
where A4 is named as my_given_name ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I don't do .Net stuff, but what is the connection between these 2 pices of
code ?
And the subject ?

NickHK

egroups.com...

Bob Phillips wrote:

I think you will need to post more code if you want a solution mate, we
are
working blind.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

ups.com...

Bob Phillips wrote:

Which you didn't mention in your post.

It works, it must be your code somewhere.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

ups.com...

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all,
just wish to know is it possible to read excel cells by their
name
instead of cell reference.

i.e. instead of using xlsheet.range(A4).value, can i use
xlsheet.range("my_given_name").value
where A4 is named as my_given_name ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

OK, I see.
So what is the value of "s" ?
And you have a single cell named that on xlSheet1 ?

Bob Phillips wrote:

I think you will need to post more code if you want a solution mate, we
are
working blind.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

ups.com...

Bob Phillips wrote:

Which you didn't mention in your post.

It works, it must be your code somewhere.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

ups.com...

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all,
just wish to know is it possible to read excel cells by their
name
instead of cell reference.

i.e. instead of using xlsheet.range(A4).value, can i use
xlsheet.range("my_given_name").value
where A4 is named as my_given_name ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

sorry that I havent put up the whole code.

s is a string which gets a formula from a cell in xlsheet1 and copy it
to xlsheet2
this formula is a name which points to another cell, i am trying to get
the value of this last cell to copy also to xlsheet2

what bob wrote should work , but in my case i am passing it as a string
to range method whereas he passed it as a "Name" object.

Bob Phillips wrote:

I think you will need to post more code if you want a solution mate, we
are
working blind.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

ups.com...

Bob Phillips wrote:

Which you didn't mention in your post.

It works, it must be your code somewhere.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

ups.com...

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all,
just wish to know is it possible to read excel cells by their
name
instead of cell reference.

i.e. instead of using xlsheet.range(A4).value, can i use
xlsheet.range("my_given_name").value
where A4 is named as my_given_name ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

No, I passed it as a string to a range object.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

ups.com...

Bob Phillips wrote:

I think you will need to post more code if you want a solution mate,

we
are
working blind.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

ups.com...

Bob Phillips wrote:

Which you didn't mention in your post.

It works, it must be your code somewhere.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

ups.com...