Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default VBA sucks

Hey MS people, you really ought to include a better language for
scripting Office than VBA. I'm sick of typing 'End If'.

May I recommend PERL?

It's really amazing how fast you can code something up in that
language. The built in hastables and easy to use array just make it so
sweet to zip through data manipulation and the pattern matching stuff
makes text manipulation really easy.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

ahh Perl -

I have been fortunate to be a windows programmer who has used PERL a lot
over the years. And it is quite awesome.

But there are so many in the Perl community who say things like "vba sucks"
etc.

Then one day I received an email saying if they could get something like 60
people to pay $12/year they could keep the Perl Journal alive - at least in
electronic form.

60 People - and they couldn't do it!!

So wake up Kramer - Perl is nice but it is used by a tiny fraction of the
programmers that use VBA.

Besides, developing in that great VBA editor with it's intellisense, etc is
way better that using notepad or (horrors) the incomprehensible vi editor.

Perl is cool - but make no mistake - the world programs in VB.

ct60

" wrote:

Hey MS people, you really ought to include a better language for
scripting Office than VBA. I'm sick of typing 'End If'.

May I recommend PERL?

It's really amazing how fast you can code something up in that
language. The built in hastables and easy to use array just make it so
sweet to zip through data manipulation and the pattern matching stuff
makes text manipulation really easy.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"ct60" schreef in bericht
[...]

The statement 'VBA sucks' is just not relevant when it's compared with PERL,
I guess.
PERL indeed is great, just like TCL by the way, but keep your aim in mind.
If you want to webscript on a UNIX-server, VBA won't help, but don't
complain because if you want to drive 600mp/h on a bicycle, then don't blame
the bicycle.