Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default worksheet to worksheet . . .

I'm not looking for volumes of info on this one. (Um, that doesn't mean I
wouldn't appreciate it, though! LOL) I just need a jump start so I can
figure out what to do to get started.

I have a workbook with about 50 sheets. 4 of the sheets get data, dumped
from a program. That data is carried to other sheets as needed.

These "other" sheets basically just have a formula in each cell, so data is
pulled from the main sheet it's "connected" to.

Now that the workbook is working great, I FINALLY get feedback from our
Engineering dept. They have 2 concerns . . .

The dilemma . . .

1). If they send the finished workbook to the customer, the customer can
view any/all formulae in the cells. They don't want the customer to see any
formulae.

2). The size of the file is fairly large. Because not only are the final
Engineering reports part of the workbook, but the sheets that do the "math",
and our internal reports are all a part of the same workbook.

So . . . they want to delete all but the 5 or 6 sheets with "their" data.
But if they do . . . the source sheets supplying the data go, and their
sheets end up with nothing in them.

The solution(s) . . .

I know I can hide formulae. Haven't yet gone in and tried to figure out
how. But I know I can do that. So that part shouldn't be an issue. But . .
..

They can't delete the source of the data! So what I'd like to do is . . .

Make another workbook with just the Engineering portion. Then, once all the
calculations are done, and the data is in the appropriate Engineering sheets,
have the data go from the Engineering sheets in the main workbook . . . to
the copy of the workbook. But just the values . . . not the formulae.

As in, EX: Sheet D2 gets data from one program, does some calculations, and
puts the results into a column in that sheet. The data from the colum with
the calculated results is sent to sheet E2. How? Sheet E2 has a formula in
each cell pulling that data over. You know . . . if something is in this
cell on that sheet, put it here.

Now comes workbook 2. I'd like sheet E2 of new workbook to receive the
values of main E2. Without having a formula in every cell in the new E2.

So when it's done, Engineering can send the new workbook to the customer,
and still have the "working" workbook for reference.

My best guess is . . . have all the cells in the heading section of new
workbook use the formula to pull identical info (text) over, so the heading
is done identical to main workbook. Use the "hide formula" function for the
heading. Then somehow have all columns in main workbook sent over to new
workbook, without forumlae in each cell of new workbook. (Ugghhh!)

Does that make sense?

:)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

There's 2 things you can do.

Separate Sheets to Reduce File Size:

First, move the worksheets that you want the customer to be able to see to a
new workbook, which you can do via the following steps:

Select the sheets you want to move to a new workbook.

Right click on one of those tabs below and click on "Move or Copy..."

In the "To book:"

click on "(new book)"

Click on "OK"

This will move those sheets to the new workbook. In the new workbook, you
may have to redo your formulas to refer back to the old workbook.

Hide formulas:

To do this, it's a 2 step process

Goto Format, Cells, Protection

Checkmark both "Hidden" and "Lock"

Click on OK

Now, this will only take effect once you lock the worksheet and preferably
done via a password, though it isn't foolproof, but it still a fairly good
bet others won't unlock it as long as you use a good enough password, unless
some sort of hashing program is used against it. To lock the worksheet,
goto Tools, Protection, Protect Sheet...

--
Ronald R. Dodge, Jr.
Production Statistician/Programmer

"Wayne Knazek" wrote in message
[...]

.. .
.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Here is a different approach which may help.

As I read what you say, you want several subsheets from the original
finished workbook with no formulas for distribution. Here is the way you
would do that.

select the sheets you want (click the first, ctrl+Click additional). Do
Edit=Move or Copy Sheet, click make a copy in the lower left. select new
workbook and click OK.

On each sheet in the new workbook
Click at the juncture of the row and column headers so all cells are
selected. Do edit=Copy, then immediatly to edit=Paste Special and select
Values. This removes all formulas and just leaves the results they display.
It removes links back to the original workbook which remains in tact.

maybe that will at least help with part of the solution.

Tom Ogilvy

[...]

. .
.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
JNW JNW is offline

You may consider writing or recording a macro that would, after you select
the sheets, copy them and do the paste special to a new file for you.

--
JNW

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thaks, all! You gave me some ideas here.

Tom, I think you're closest to what I need to do. I need to automate this
as much as is practical, as this process (data dump into master - move to
Engineering workbook with no formulae) can be run many times a day.

I'll play with this for a bit, then see what ?s I have.

This is close. But I still need full automation. Maybe I can do it in VBA.

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Recording a macro does give you VBA.

You can have your code in one workbook reserved just for code (maybe your
personal.xls), and design it to work on the activeworkbook when you run it.

Tom Ogilvy

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I agree with Tom on the aspect of using a single workbook to drive the whole
program as that is what I have going on with my production reports. This
one central workbook controls the order of files and worksheets that gets
updated including using a third party program (ShowCase Strategy Query in
this case) for pulling data from our main database program, backing up such
files, and even when to end one reporting year to start another reporting
year (this last bit saved me about a month's worth of work annually by
having this process automated).

Though my reports don't go to external customers, I have had other reasons
to convert the formula writing to VBA coding. However, when it comes to the
individual machine centers, I wasn't really able to fully get away from it
as there are times when changes are made thus makes it tougher to be fully
away from formula writing. That's one reason why I did mention about
protecting cells and hiding the formulas, then the protection of the
worksheet though also stated this method isn't exactly foolproof as one
could use some sort of hashing program to break such protection. Anyhow,
here's a few of the reasons why I have had to convert a lot of the formulas
to VBA coding:

Excel seems to be rather redundant on the calculations, though must
admit not nearly as bad since XL2K as XL2K only takes 1/3 of the amount of
time to calculate as XL97 did for the same set of formulas to calculate.

With minor exceptions, for the most part, VBA provided greater control
and didn't take nearly as long to process as compared to formula writing.
In VBA, you can use variables thus greatly reduces the number of
calculations that has to be done as opposed to using the numerous cells
within spreadsheets to do the same calculations.

When opening workbooks that has links to other workbooks and it's
calculated, it returns "#REF!" error messages when the source workbook(s)
is/are not open. (This was the biggest reason why I had to convert a lot of
the formulas within the summarized production report file to VBA code as a
lot of users have by default the calculation mode set to automatic.)

Main thing is I started out with having the links in place, but then it was
built that way from scratch initially just to get things going. I later on
then went in and converted a lot of that from formula writing to VBA
writing.

--

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote:

[...]

"Wayne Knazek" wrote in