Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default DDE connection

I have a simple macro that commuincates with another program by using a dde
connection. the problem is that I get an error message almost every time time
I run the program fo rthe first time (ie a DDE connection was not established
prior to my running the macro). Thus it may be that the connection is not
"ready" the first time I try to communicate throught it. This is really
annoying..Is there any way of checking that the connection is OK? I open my
connection with:
channelNumber = Application.DDEInitiate(app:="BLP", topic:="S")
and then i get a message box that I need to click Ok. (i communicate with
the bloomberg professional if that may be of any help). thanks alot for any
help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Not sure what type of error you are getting. But (and I have no experience
with this) maybe something like this

Dim channelNumber as Variant
do
channelNumber = Application.DDEInitiate(app:="BLP", topic:="S")
loop while iserror(channelNumber)

Tom Ogilvy

"Arne Hegefors" wrote:

I have a simple macro that commuincates with another program by using a dde
connection. the problem is that I get an error message almost every time time
I run the program fo rthe first time (ie a DDE connection was not established
prior to my running the macro). Thus it may be that the connection is not
"ready" the first time I try to communicate throught it. This is really
annoying..Is there any way of checking that the connection is OK? I open my
connection with:
channelNumber = Application.DDEInitiate(app:="BLP", topic:="S")
and then i get a message box that I need to click Ok. (i communicate with
the bloomberg professional if that may be of any help). thanks alot for any
help!

always recheck data connection library for latest connection strin FurmanGG Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 September 14th 07 04:48 PM
no DDE connection?? askmiller Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 August 5th 06 09:19 PM
ADO Connection Alex Excel Programming 12 May 5th 06 07:26 PM
ADO Connection Help Matty G Excel Programming 3 June 23rd 05 02:14 PM
SQL Connection Adul Excel Programming 0 November 4th 04 08:24 AM