Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Wes Wes is offline

Default Text string divided into 4 columns

Hi,

I have information in one column imported from another system. The
information is structured in one text string but each row includes a set of 4
different data strings diveded by a comma ",". Like this:
Red,house,door,20000
blue,cat,mouth,500
etc

I need a macro that look at all rows and dived the information in to 4
diffrent columns like this;

column A B C D
Red house door 20000
blue cat mouth 500

Grateful for any help in this issue.
Thanks!
Mats
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,
You dont really need a macro to do this
Click Data / Text to columns / delimited / select comma
and you're done

regards,
julian

Wes wrote:
Hi,

I have information in one column imported from another system. The
information is structured in one text string but each row includes a set of 4
different data strings diveded by a comma ",". Like this:
Red,house,door,20000
blue,cat,mouth,500
etc

I need a macro that look at all rows and dived the information in to 4
diffrent columns like this;

column A B C D
Red house door 20000
blue cat mouth 500

Grateful for any help in this issue.
Thanks!
Mats

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

hi wes

you can select the first column and then do following:
go to "Data" -- "Text to Column..." --
there you choose:
- Delimited - Next
- deselect "Tab", select "comma" - next
- Finish

if you need it automated, just record the macro and have
a look at the code, that Excel provides

hth

Carlo