Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default VBA Help files

Excel 5.0 was my introduction to VBA when the old DOS Macro functions were on
the way out. I learned to program in VBA by using the help files that were
available with the XL 5 in Windows95. The help files were user friendly
enough to explain the dos and don'ts when using the sample code. There were
even notes that referred the user to another code area if they wanted to do
something similar but a little different. The current VBA help in Windows
2003 lacks the additional information that would help beginners. What is
there is OK for experienced users who just need a memory jog, but it lacks
the detail that beginners need. I think Microsoft could improve the VBA help
files. If you agree, click the button.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...el.programming
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

the old DOS Macro functions

Excel 4 macros had no more to do with DOS than VBA does. But between the
meager help files, these newsgroups, Excel books and web sites, there are
lots of resources. You just have to escape the DOS era;-)

--
Jim
"JLGWhiz" wrote in message
| Excel 5.0 was my introduction to VBA when the old DOS Macro functions were
on
| the way out. I learned to program in VBA by using the help files that
were
| available with the XL 5 in Windows95. The help files were user friendly
| enough to explain the dos and don'ts when using the sample code. There
were
| even notes that referred the user to another code area if they wanted to
do
| something similar but a little different. The current VBA help in Windows
| 2003 lacks the additional information that would help beginners. What is
| there is OK for experienced users who just need a memory jog, but it lacks
| the detail that beginners need. I think Microsoft could improve the VBA
help
| files. If you agree, click the button.
|
| ----------------
| This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
| suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I
| Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow
this
| link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then
| click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...el.programming

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Well, at least you agree that the help files are meager. Many of the
questions that I see on this site should be, and could be, answered in the
help files with just minor enhancements. The basic data is already there, it
just lacks the words to tell the beginner when and where to use it in many
cases.