Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default match

Hi, can I modify the formula =MATCH(A33,F7:F15,0)/2 so that it only
give whole number results. Eg not 1.5,2.5,3.5 but 1,2,3.
Regard Robert

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

=int(yourformulahere)
is one way.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'm going to have to ask why you're trying to divide the results of MATCH by
anything?
MATCH does not return the value of a thing, it returns the position number
that the match found in the list. You're getting the .5 when match finds the
match at items 1, 3, 5, ... any odd number in your list.

But to provide a solution to your question, try one of these, first one
using INT will alway cause a value ending in .5 to become just the whole
number portion (i.e. 1.5 = 1, 2.5 = 2, 3.5 = 3, etc)
=INT(MATCH(A33,F7:F15,0)/2)

This one will always round up to next larger integer, as 1.5 = 2, 2.5 = 3,
etc.
=ROUNDUP(MATCH(A33,F7:F15,0)/2,0)

"RobcPettit" wrote:

Hi, can I modify the formula =MATCH(A33,F7:F15,0)/2 so that it only
give whole number results. Eg not 1.5,2.5,3.5 but 1,2,3.
Regard Robert

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thankyou for your replys. Im using
=MIN(IF(MOD(ROW(F7:F16),2)=0,F7:F16)) to get the min value, as advised
in prev post, and to get the index, use

=MATCH(B40,F7:F16,0)/2
so Im trying to get the cottect position in the array, whence ignoring
non whole values.
Regards Robert

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Rob see my reply in the other thread

=MATCH(H9,F8:F17,0)/2+(ISEVEN(F8)/2)

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"RobcPettit" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, can I modify the formula =MATCH(A33,F7:F15,0)/2 so that it only
give whole number results. Eg not 1.5,2.5,3.5 but 1,2,3.
Regard Robert

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks - I'll go look for that just to see where this started from. I
figured that there might be a unique need to do it, and that's why I went
ahead and tossed out a couple of possible solutions. I try to remember that
sometimes someone may actually know what they're asking for even if it does
look very much out of the ordinary.