Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Major Error

I have a file that I made a mistake of giving a Function and a Sub the same
name and now when I try to open the file it trys and trys but willnot open
and the system will finally end the task and close Excel. When I restart
Excel it tries to get the file back and it will repair it and I will loose
all the macros. Is there a way to get this file back, like when it is trying
to open is there a way to bypass something and say just open the file.

Thank you for your help.

Steven
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Steven,

Try to press "ESC" key while Excel process
to open your Workbook...

If there's an error in event Workbook_open
there will End or Debug option prompted.

choose debug and then end the macro.

Halim

"Steven" wrote:

I have a file that I made a mistake of giving a Function and a Sub the same
name and now when I try to open the file it trys and trys but willnot open
and the system will finally end the task and close Excel. When I restart
Excel it tries to get the file back and it will repair it and I will loose
all the macros. Is there a way to get this file back, like when it is trying
to open is there a way to bypass something and say just open the file.

Thank you for your help.

Steven

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

First ensure that your security is set to medium. When you opne the fie you
will be prompted to enable macro's. When asked to do so select Disable. See
if that help you to get into the file...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Steven" wrote:

I have a file that I made a mistake of giving a Function and a Sub the same
name and now when I try to open the file it trys and trys but willnot open
and the system will finally end the task and close Excel. When I restart
Excel it tries to get the file back and it will repair it and I will loose
all the macros. Is there a way to get this file back, like when it is trying
to open is there a way to bypass something and say just open the file.

Thank you for your help.

Steven

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 21:30:03 -0700, Steven
wrote:

I have a file that I made a mistake of giving a Function and a Sub the same
name and now when I try to open the file it trys and trys but willnot open
and the system will finally end the task and close Excel. When I restart
Excel it tries to get the file back and it will repair it and I will loose
all the macros. Is there a way to get this file back, like when it is trying
to open is there a way to bypass something and say just open the file.

Thank you for your help.

Steven

In addition to what others have written, this from Excel HELP may be of value:

"To prevent macros from automatically running, hold down SHIFT while you start
Excel.

"Note If you start Excel from the Office Shortcut Bar, click the Microsoft
Excel button on the Office Shortcut Bar first, and then immediately hold down
SHIFT while Excel starts"

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank you very much for all of your responses. I should have known that
answer. I was freaking out so bad my brain locked. I thought I was going to
have to go back to the IT dept for a backup from the previous night but that
was going to be embarrassing and I still would have lost 5 hours work. I was
able to open the file with your answer.

Thank you again.

Steven