Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
dan dan is offline

Default Sorting with Groups

Is it possible to maintain cells grouped togther (using the Data-Group and
Outline-Group) when using Autofilter?

I have columns A-T with varying lenghts of rows grouped together. I want to
be able to filter on specific information in a column (using autofilter) but
maintain the group to see what is tied to that particular item.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi
Not sure what your layout is, but I suspect it is something like

Group1
Name1 ID1
Name2 ID2
Group2
Name3 ID3
Name4 ID4
Name5 ID5

etc
If so, change the layout to include a group column
Name1 ID1 Group1
Name2 ID2 Group1
Name3 ID3 Group2 etc

Is that what you mean??
regards
Paul

Dan wrote:
Is it possible to maintain cells grouped togther (using the Data-Group and
Outline-Group) when using Autofilter?

I have columns A-T with varying lenghts of rows grouped together. I want to
be able to filter on specific information in a column (using autofilter) but
maintain the group to see what is tied to that particular item.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi
Sorry - last post was nonsense. I didn't read the first paragraph
properly.

regards
Paul

Dan wrote:
Is it possible to maintain cells grouped togther (using the Data-Group and
Outline-Group) when using Autofilter?

I have columns A-T with varying lenghts of rows grouped together. I want to
be able to filter on specific information in a column (using autofilter) but
maintain the group to see what is tied to that particular item.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
dan dan is offline

Here is what I have

C1 C2 C3 C4 C5 C6 .... C15
R1 apple 2 3
R2 ab ac gd .... r5
R3 ee et tg .... cb
R4 cf de ij .... ok
R5 pear 4 5
R6 ab ac gd .... r5
R7 ee et tg .... cb
R8 tree 3 6
R9 0d 34 4f .... gi

Now rows 2-4 are grouped, 6&7 and 9 so that they collapse under their header
in columns C1-C3. There is also a filter set up on C1, C2, C5 and C6. (Used
Autofilter, then dispalyed the display of the arrors on C3 and C4). Each
entry in column C1 may have multiple entries with different data in C4 - C15.

Now when I use the autofilter to select "tree" I want to maintain the
grouping underneath to see the different information that has been entered.

Dan wrote:
Is it possible to maintain cells grouped togther (using the Data-Group and
Outline-Group) when using Autofilter?

I have columns A-T with varying lenghts of rows grouped together. I want to
be able to filter on specific information in a column (using autofilter) but
maintain the group to see what is tied to that particular item.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi
My first email wasn't far off the mark then. Simply extend the header
information into each row as they are not really headers at all. A
proper header for column 1 would be FRUIT for example. So now rows 1 to
4 would all have apple in Column 1 etc.

regards
Paul