Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default select open webpage, copy information to open worksheet

I've developed (with much help from this forum) a workbook that helps me
monitor my 401(k). It maintains price, share and balance information for 32
funds. Prices are obtained automatically from http://finance.yahoo.com. But
obtaining share information requires much manual work. I used to be able to
automatically open a secure webpage and copy share balances. But the
investment company has made changes that prevent this.

I'd like to be able to copy the share balances from an open webpage. That
is, I propose to manually open the investment company's secure webpage and
then activate a Excel VBA program to copy information from the open webpage
to a worksheet. I'll need to screen URLs because I may have several open
webpages.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much.

-Kevin
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'll be more specific. How would I use the GetObject function to copy
information from an open webpage? The GetObject Function Example in
Microsoft Visual Basic Help (for Excel) only shows how to us "[...] the
GetObject function to get a reference to a specific Microsoft Excel worksheet
(MyXL). "

Thanks.

Kevin

--
-Kevin

I wrote:

I've developed (with much help from this forum) a workbook that helps me
monitor my 401(k). It maintains price, share and balance information for 32
funds. Prices are obtained automatically from http://finance.yahoo.com. But
obtaining share information requires much manual work. I used to be able to
automatically open a secure webpage and copy share balances. But the
investment company has made changes that prevent this.

I'd like to be able to copy the share balances from an open webpage. That
is, I propose to manually open the investment company's secure webpage and
then activate a Excel VBA program to copy information from the open webpage
to a worksheet. I'll need to screen URLs because I may have several open
webpages.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much.

-Kevin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Kevin,
One way would be put a webbrowser control on a userform, Navigate2 the
required webpage, fill in login etc.
Once you are on the correct page, read the HTML/DOM to get the data.
This can get you started:
http://www.microsoft.com/mind/0898/dom.asp

Google for "Automate IE VB -Net" (without the quotes) to get some other
leads.

NickHK