Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ken Ken is offline

Default I need to search for then extract a specific portion of cell data...

I need to search for then extract a specific portion of cell data. Below, I
have provided an example of what I'm trying to do.

Column "A" (raw data) Column "B" (end result)
700001103 (x4) 4
8675-US (59) 59
8675-EU x 5 5
6330-02(18) 18
6330-02CE (x10 ) 10
6305-02 (1) 1
58516 (x117) 117

I hope someone can help me.

Thanks.
//Ken

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ken,
I tested this in your sample and it appears to work BUT I cannot
guarantee it is "foolproof"!

=VALUE(TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A 1,"("," "),"x","
"),")",""),FIND(" ",SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"("," "),"x"," ")),255)))

HTH

"Ken" wrote:

I need to search for then extract a specific portion of cell data. Below, I
have provided an example of what I'm trying to do.

Column "A" (raw data) Column "B" (end result)
700001103 (x4) 4
8675-US (59) 59
8675-EU x 5 5
6330-02(18) 18
6330-02CE (x10 ) 10
6305-02 (1) 1
58516 (x117) 117

I hope someone can help me.

Thanks.
//Ken

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

What do you mean by foolproof?

It is foolproof for the limited set of 6 records you give as an
example.

Have you any other formats that are not covered by
the rules covered.

i.e
include characters between "(" and ")" unless the character is "x" or
" " (space)
or if null result include all characters following the last space

Regards

"Ken" wrote:

I need to search for then extract a specific portion of cell data. Below, I
have provided an example of what I'm trying to do.

Column "A" (raw data) Column "B" (end result)
700001103 (x4) 4
8675-US (59) 59
8675-EU x 5 5
6330-02(18) 18
6330-02CE (x10 ) 10
6305-02 (1) 1
58516 (x117) 117

I hope someone can help me.

Thanks.
//Ken

__
Richard Buttrey
Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
__________________________
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ken Ken is offline

Richard,

I think your on to something here. Toppers response worked great except, as
you pointed out, it only captures the numbers in (##) or ( ## ). It does not
capture numbers in (x##) or ( x## ) or (X##), etc... Ultimately, I need to
capture all scenarios. If the part number does not have a quantity at the
end (usually indicated by the "x/X" or "(" ), then the result should be the
number "1", indicating a single part number.

EXAMPLE:
Cell "A"
700001103 (x4)
(part number) 700001103 (quantity of) (x4) < (i need just the
number indicating the quantity, regardless of what it is/is not wrapped in)
4

Is this possible to do?

Thanks again, to you and Toppers
//Ken

"Richard Buttrey" wrote in
message ...

"Ken" wrote:

I need to search for then extract a specific portion of cell data.

Below, I
have provided an example of what I'm trying to do.

Column "A" (raw data) Column "B" (end result)
700001103 (x4) 4
8675-US (59) 59
8675-EU x 5 5
6330-02(18) 18
6330-02CE (x10 ) 10
6305-02 (1) 1
58516 (x117) 117

I hope someone can help me.

Thanks.
//Ken

__
Richard Buttrey
Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
__________________________

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default I need to search for then extract a specific portion of cell d

Sorry but it DOES capture (X4), (X10), (X117). These are a direct copy of
my results using the supplied formula.

700001103 (x4) 4
8675-US (59) 59
8675-EU x 5 5
6330-02(18) 18
6330-02CE (x10 ) 10
6305-02 (1) 1
58516 (x117) 117

It doesn't capture the situation where no quantity was present but this will:

=IF(ISERROR(VALUE(TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(S UBSTITUTE(A8,"(","
"),"x"," "),")",""),FIND(" ",SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A8,"("," "),"x","
")),255)))),1,VALUE(TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE (SUBSTITUTE(A8,"(","
"),"x"," "),")",""),FIND(" ",SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A8,"("," "),"x","
")),255))))

700001103 (x4) 4
8675-US (59) 59
8675-EU x 5 5
6330-02(18) 18
6330-02CE (x10 ) 10
6305-02 (1) 1
58516 (x117) 117
58517 1

HTH

"Ken" wrote:

I need to search for then extract a specific portion of cell data.

Below, I
have provided an example of what I'm trying to do.

Column "A" (raw data) Column "B" (end result)
700001103 (x4) 4
8675-US (59) 59
8675-EU x 5 5
6330-02(18) 18
6330-02CE (x10 ) 10
6305-02 (1) 1
58516 (x117) 117

I hope someone can help me.

Thanks.
//Ken

__
Richard Buttrey
Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
__________________________

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ken Ken is offline

Toppers -

I didn't mean to imply your formula didn't work, just that it didn't work
correctly for me, in my spreadsheet. Below, I have list the results from
your 1st and 2nd formulas, running it on the same list both times. As you
can see, in my spreadsheet, the results aren't what I expected. It seems
where not capturing all the numbers. Any thoughts?

Column "A" (raw data) 1st Formula Results 2nd
Formula Results
8675-US (59) 59
1 (should be 59)
8675-EU x 5 #VALUE!
5
6330-02(18) 18
1 (should be 18)
6330-02CE (x10 ) #VALUE! 1
(should be 10)
6305-02 (1) 1
1
58516 (x117) #VALUE!
1 (should be 117)
6312-05(X30) #VALUE!
1 (should be 30)
604-800006-002 #VALUE! 1
5054-SUA-US #VALUE! 1
6312-05(X20 ) #VALUE!
1 (should be 20)
6420-05(30) 30
1 (should be 30)
6420-05 ( 9 ) 9
1 (should be 9)

I really appreciate your help!

Thanks,
//Ken

"Ken" wrote:

I need to search for then extract a specific portion of cell data.

Below, I
have provided an example of what I'm trying to do.

Column "A" (raw data) Column "B" (end result)
700001103 (x4) 4
8675-US (59) 59
8675-EU x 5 5
6330-02(18) 18
6330-02CE (x10 ) 10
6305-02 (1) 1
58516 (x117) 117

I hope someone can help me.

Thanks.
//Ken

__
Richard Buttrey
Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
__________________________

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

This seems to work for your set of 6 records. Obviously it will nned
modifying if there are any formats that don't meet the rule I
explained in the last post.

Watch the word wrap, this is all one formula.

=IF(ISERROR(FIND("(",A1)),RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND("x",A1)-1),SUBSTITUTE(MID(A1,FIND("(",A1)+1,FIND(")",A1)-FIND("(",A1)-1),"x",""))

Rgds

"Ken" wrote:

I need to search for then extract a specific portion of cell data.

Below, I
have provided an example of what I'm trying to do.

Column "A" (raw data) Column "B" (end result)
700001103 (x4) 4
8675-US (59) 59
8675-EU x 5 5
6330-02(18) 18
6330-02CE (x10 ) 10
6305-02 (1) 1
58516 (x117) 117

I hope someone can help me.

Thanks.
//Ken

__
Richard Buttrey
Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
__________________________

__
Richard Buttrey
Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
__________________________
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ken,
Apology from me ... I had a similar problem but ASSUMED (and I
know I shouldn't) it was simply due to me copying/pasting/"text-to-columns"
from the NG so I simply manually deleted extra characters from the end of the
strings.

Further investigation indicates there are CHAR(160) (with CHAR(32) - blanks)
characters at the end of most strings so these need to be removed. [Was the
date extracted from a non-Excel source?)

The following VBA macro does this and appears to clear the problem. To
insert into the spreadsheet:

Alt+F11
Right click in VBA Project window
Insert==Module
Copy/paste code below

To use, highlight the range/column to be changed and RUN the macro.

Sub ReplaceChr160()
Selection.Replace What:=Chr(160), _
Replacement:=Chr(32), LookAt:=xlPart, _
SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
End Sub

HTH

"Ken" wrote:

I need to search for then extract a specific portion of cell data.
Below, I
have provided an example of what I'm trying to do.

Column "A" (raw data) Column "B" (end result)
700001103 (x4) 4
8675-US (59) 59
8675-EU x 5 5
6330-02(18) 18
6330-02CE (x10 ) 10
6305-02 (1) 1
58516 (x117) 117

I hope someone can help me.

Thanks.
//Ken

__
Richard Buttrey
Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
__________________________

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ken Ken is offline

Toppers -

I really appreciate your time and patience. I'm beginning to get frustrated!
I have tried everything you mentioned and it still appears not to be working
for me. In an effort to try and make it easier for you to see what I'm
getting, I have attached a excel spreadsheet containing the list I'm working
with and showing how I applied your formulas.

I'm sure it's working for you, therefore I'm certain I must be doing
something wrong. It appears that wherever there is upper case "X" it doesn't
seem to capture that but, it might be better if you could look at the whole
list. Please take a look and let me know if you can help.

Again, thanks for your help!

//Ken

"Ken" wrote:

I need to search for then extract a specific portion of cell

data.
Below, I
have provided an example of what I'm trying to do.

Column "A" (raw data) Column "B" (end result)
700001103 (x4) 4
8675-US (59) 59
8675-EU x 5 5
6330-02(18) 18
6330-02CE (x10 ) 10
6305-02 (1) 1
58516 (x117) 117

I hope someone can help me.

Thanks.
//Ken

__
Richard Buttrey
Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
__________________________

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ken Ken is offline

Richard -

Thanks for your help. The formula you provided doesn't seem to work for me.
Although it captures the number, it is also capturing the "x/X". Also, where
there is no number to capture, it's providing a "#VALUE!" instead of a "1".

Thanks again,
//Ken

"Richard Buttrey" wrote in
message ...

"Ken" wrote:

I need to search for then extract a specific portion of cell data.

Below, I
have provided an example of what I'm trying to do.

Column "A" (raw data) Column "B" (end result)
700001103 (x4) 4
8675-US (59) 59
8675-EU x 5 5
6330-02(18) 18
6330-02CE (x10 ) 10
6305-02 (1) 1
58516 (x117) 117

I hope someone can help me.

Thanks.
//Ken

__
Richard Buttrey
Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
__________________________

__
Richard Buttrey
Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
__________________________

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Ken" wrote:

I need to search for then extract a specific portion of cell

data.
Below, I
have provided an example of what I'm trying to do.

Column "A" (raw data) Column "B" (end result)
700001103 (x4) 4
8675-US (59) 59
8675-EU x 5 5
6330-02(18) 18
6330-02CE (x10 ) 10
6305-02 (1) 1
58516 (x117) 117

It appears to me that what you want to do is capture the last numeric value in
the string. If the rule is different, see if you can write it out.

The following will give the results you have specified in your examples, using
that rule.

First, download and install Longre's free morefunc.xll add-in from
http://xcell05.free.fr

Then, with your string in A1, use the formula:

=REGEX.MID(A1,"\d+",-1)

This will return the value as TEXT. If you want the value as a NUMBER, precede
the formula with a double unary:

=--REGEX.MID(A1,"\d+",-1)

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Ken" wrote:

[...]

I missed one.

What do you want returned for:

5054-SUA-US

I'm assuming you want a blank. If that is the case, change the formula to:

=REGEX.MID(A1,"(?<=\D)\d+",-1)

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ken,
No attachment .... but has it been solved using Ron's solution?

Sorry to have caused you so much frustration!

[For my own curiosity, can you e-mail your spreadsheet as I am curious to
find out why it works for me ((using the NG data) and not you].

"Ken" wrote:

I need to search for then extract a specific portion of cell

data.
Below, I
have provided an example of what I'm trying to do.

Column "A" (raw data) Column "B" (end result)
700001103 (x4) 4
8675-US (59) 59
8675-EU x 5 5
6330-02(18) 18
6330-02CE (x10 ) 10
6305-02 (1) 1
58516 (x117) 117

I hope someone can help me.

Thanks.
//Ken

__
Richard Buttrey
Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
__________________________

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ken,

That is odd since it works perfectly for me.
Can you confirm that you have put your original data in A1:A7, for
example the first string in A1 is

700001103 (x4)

and then copied my formula down B1:B7?

When you suggest there is ' no number to capture', that suggests that
there is another category of format not covered by your original 7
examples, since each of these has a number either at the end, as per
the 3rd example or within the brackets. Can you post the format of this
additional string.

Rgds

"Ken" wrote:

I need to search for then extract a specific portion of cell data.
Below, I
have provided an example of what I'm trying to do.

Column "A" (raw data) Column "B" (end result)
700001103 (x4) 4
8675-US (59) 59
8675-EU x 5 5
6330-02(18) 18
6330-02CE (x10 ) 10
6305-02 (1) 1
58516 (x117) 117

I hope someone can help me.

Thanks.
//Ken

__
Richard Buttrey
Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
__________________________

__
Richard Buttrey
Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
__________________________

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 21:11:27 -0400, Ron Rosenfeld
wrote:

I missed one.

What do you want returned for:

5054-SUA-US

I'm assuming you want a blank. If that is the case, change the formula to:

=REGEX.MID(A1,"(?<=\D)\d+",-1)

The following should be more "robust" depending on what you want. It's rule is
that it will return the last set of digits in the string only if they are NOT
followed by other alphanumeric characters.

=REGEX.MID(A1,"\d+(?!.*\w)",-1)

So this formula will return a null string ("") given:

5054-123-US

The first formula:

=REGEX.MID(A1,"(?<=\D)\d+",-1)

will return "123"