Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Error handler resume

I have a sub in which I call an error handler if certain requirements are
met. I call the error handler and give a message to the user but I want to
continue where the error was. Now it contnues in the main sub for some
reason.

Code for error handler:

Handler:
Select Case Err.Number
Case 600
If Err.Number = 666 Then
Resume Next
End If
end select

and in the sub I call the error handler for that particukar error using:

Err.Raise 666

Please help me out here! Many thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Arne,
Surely you don't the If as you have the select case
Handler:
Select Case Err.Number
Case 600
'do something......
Case 666
Msgbox "666 error"
Resume Next
Case Else
msgbox "Give Up"
End select

NickHK

"Arne Hegefors" ...
I have a sub in which I call an error handler if certain requirements are
met. I call the error handler and give a message to the user but I want to
continue where the error was. Now it contnues in the main sub for some
reason.

Code for error handler:

Handler:
Select Case Err.Number
Case 600
If Err.Number = 666 Then
Resume Next
End If
end select

and in the sub I call the error handler for that particukar error using:

Err.Raise 666

Please help me out here! Many thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You case statement appears screwed up. why shift to an if statement.

Anyway, this worked for me:

Sub Main()
On Error GoTo ErrHandler

Test
For i = 1 To 10
j = j + 1
Next i
Exit Sub
ErrHandler:
MsgBox "In Main Error Handler"
End Sub

Sub Test()
On Error GoTo Handler

Err.Raise 666
MsgBox "Line After error 666"
Handler:
Select Case Err.Number
Case 600
MsgBox "Error is 600"

Case 666
MsgBox "Error is 666"
Resume Next
End Select

Tom Ogilvy

"Arne Hegefors" wrote:

I have a sub in which I call an error handler if certain requirements are
met. I call the error handler and give a message to the user but I want to
continue where the error was. Now it contnues in the main sub for some
reason.

Code for error handler:

Handler:
Select Case Err.Number
Case 600
If Err.Number = 666 Then
Resume Next
End If
end select

and in the sub I call the error handler for that particukar error using:

Err.Raise 666

Please help me out here! Many thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hell NickHK. I tried your code and I got the same type of problem. After the
Error 666 the code gives me "Give up". Now I dont know how to do this but I
just want to call the error handler from my sub. In the error handler give
the user some simple message and then keep going in the sub as if nothing
happend. Is that impossible? Shall I just stick with a message box in the
sub? Please help me out here! Thanks very much!

PS Tom I really appreciate your answer but I did not really understand what
it meant. Sorry... Thanks very much.

"NickHK" skrev:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Arne,
This works for me:

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
Dim i As Long

On Error GoTo Handler

For i = 1 To 100
If i Mod 50 = 0 Then
Err.Raise 666
End If
Next

Exit Sub

Handler:
Select Case Err.Number
Case 600
'do something......
Case 666
MsgBox "666 error"
Resume Next
Case Else
MsgBox "Give Up"
End Select

End Sub

NickHK

"Arne Hegefors" ...

"NickHK" skrev:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You said:

Now it continues in the main sub for some reason.

Usually MAIN is used to describe a calling routine that calls a subroutine.
so I tried to recreate you situation and show how the the two interact.

In any event, my example is not much different from Nick's examples.

It is unclear why you don't understand them.

Perhaps you need to type Resume in a module, highlight it and hit F1 to get
the help that explains how resume works.

Tom Ogilvy