Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Problem using VBA for the Networkdays function

I am using VBA in MS project to enter information into Excel 2003. It
creates an instance and enters various dates. However if I put the
Newworkdays function into a cell (e.g. xlApp.range("D6").value =
"=networkdays(rc[-3],rc[-2])" where D4 and D5 are recognised dates I get the
#NAME? error message. The Add-ins for the Analysis toolpak have been ticked.

I tried running code to turn the analysis toolpak off and then on
programatically but still the same error message

Any ideas how this can be fixed?

Many thanks

James
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi James,

Range("D6").FormulaR1C1 = "=networkdays(rc[-3],rc[-2])"

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

" wrote in message
|I am using VBA in MS project to enter information into Excel 2003. It
| creates an instance and enters various dates. However if I put the
| Newworkdays function into a cell (e.g. xlApp.range("D6").value =
| "=networkdays(rc[-3],rc[-2])" where D4 and D5 are recognised dates I get the
| #NAME? error message. The Add-ins for the Analysis toolpak have been ticked.
|

| I tried running code to turn the analysis toolpak off and then on
| programatically but still the same error message
|
| Any ideas how this can be fixed?
|
| Many thanks
|
| James

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Be aware that your formula is not referring to D4 and D5, but to A6 and B6. Are any of them #NAME?
I assume that you have Analysis Toolpak ticked in your worksheet Add-ins menu, not (just) VBA

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

" wrote in message
| Sorry Niek doesn't work. In my experience .value and .formular1c1 work the
| same
|
| James
|
| " wrote:
|
| I am using VBA in MS project to enter information into Excel 2003. It
| creates an instance and enters various dates. However if I put the
| Newworkdays function into a cell (e.g. xlApp.range("D6").value =
| "=networkdays(rc[-3],rc[-2])" where D4 and D5 are recognised dates I get the
| #NAME? error message. The Add-ins for the Analysis toolpak have been ticked.
|

| I tried running code to turn the analysis toolpak off and then on
| programatically but still the same error message
|
| Any ideas how this can be fixed?
|
| Many thanks
|
| James

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

it is D4 and D5. More importantly the function name is not in capitals
implying that XL can't see the function name. The Analysis toolpak has been
ticked in the Add-ins

Try it creating a simple macro in Word - I can give you the code if you want

" wrote in message
| Sorry Niek doesn't work. In my experience .value and .formular1c1 work the
| same
|
| James
|
| " wrote:
|
| I am using VBA in MS project to enter information into Excel 2003. It
| creates an instance and enters various dates. However if I put the
| Newworkdays function into a cell (e.g. xlApp.range("D6").value =
| "=networkdays(rc[-3],rc[-2])" where D4 and D5 are recognised dates I get the
| #NAME? error message. The Add-ins for the Analysis toolpak have been ticked.
|

| I tried running code to turn the analysis toolpak off and then on
| programatically but still the same error message
|
| Any ideas how this can be fixed?
|
| Many thanks
|
| James

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

James,

When you use Excel via automation, the addins do not get loaded, so you get
the error.

Force the load like so

xlApp.AddIns("Analysis ToolPak").Installed = False
xlApp.AddIns("Analysis ToolPak").Installed = True
xlApp.Range("D6").Value = "=networkdays(rc[-3],rc[-2])"

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

wrote in message
| Sorry Niek doesn't work. In my experience .value and .formular1c1

work the
| same
|
| James
|
| " wrote:
|
| I am using VBA in MS project to enter information into Excel 2003.

It
| creates an instance and enters various dates. However if I put the
| Newworkdays function into a cell (e.g. xlApp.range("D6").value =
| "=networkdays(rc[-3],rc[-2])" where D4 and D5 are recognised dates I

get the
| #NAME? error message. The Add-ins for the Analysis toolpak have

been ticked.

| I tried running code to turn the analysis toolpak off and then on
| programatically but still the same error message
|
| Any ideas how this can be fixed?
|
| Many thanks
|
| James

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi James,

And after you've sorted that out, check the cell references in your formula in the worksheet; it IS A6 and B6 (Columns -3 and -2,
not Rows)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message ...
| James,
|
| When you use Excel via automation, the addins do not get loaded, so you get
| the error.
|
| Force the load like so
|

| xlApp.AddIns("Analysis ToolPak").Installed = False
| xlApp.AddIns("Analysis ToolPak").Installed = True
| xlApp.Range("D6").Value = "=networkdays(rc[-3],rc[-2])"
|
| --
| HTH
|
| Bob Phillips
|
| (replace somewhere in email address with gmail if mailing direct)
|
| "
| wrote in message ...
| it is D4 and D5. More importantly the function name is not in capitals
| implying that XL can't see the function name. The Analysis toolpak has
| been
| ticked in the Add-ins
|
| Try it creating a simple macro in Word - I can give you the code if you
| want
|

| "Niek Otten" wrote:
|
| Be aware that your formula is not referring to D4 and D5, but to A6 and
| B6. Are any of them #NAME?
| I assume that you have Analysis Toolpak ticked in your worksheet Add-ins
| menu, not (just) VBA
|
| --
| Kind regards,
|
| Niek Otten
| Microsoft MVP - Excel
|
| "
| wrote in message
| | Sorry Niek doesn't work. In my experience .value and .formular1c1
| work the
| | same
| |
| | James
| |
| | " wrote:
| |
| | I am using VBA in MS project to enter information into Excel 2003.
| It
| | creates an instance and enters various dates. However if I put the
| | Newworkdays function into a cell (e.g. xlApp.range("D6").value =
| | "=networkdays(rc[-3],rc[-2])" where D4 and D5 are recognised dates I
| get the
| | #NAME? error message. The Add-ins for the Analysis toolpak have
| been ticked.
| |
| |
| | I tried running code to turn the analysis toolpak off and then on
| | programatically but still the same error message
| |
| | Any ideas how this can be fixed?
| |
| | Many thanks
| |
| | James

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I agree with Niek, it came out as A6,B6 in all my tests.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Niek Otten" wrote in message
Hi James,

And after you've sorted that out, check the cell references in your

formula in the worksheet; it IS A6 and B6 (Columns -3 and -2,
not Rows)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message

| James,
|
| When you use Excel via automation, the addins do not get loaded, so you

get
| the error.
|
| Force the load like so
|

| xlApp.AddIns("Analysis ToolPak").Installed = False
| xlApp.AddIns("Analysis ToolPak").Installed = True
| xlApp.Range("D6").Value = "=networkdays(rc[-3],rc[-2])"
|
| --
| HTH
|
| Bob Phillips
|
| (replace somewhere in email address with gmail if mailing direct)
|
| "
| wrote in message

| it is D4 and D5. More importantly the function name is not in

capitals
| implying that XL can't see the function name. The Analysis toolpak

has
| been
| ticked in the Add-ins
|
| Try it creating a simple macro in Word - I can give you the code if

you
| want
|

| "Niek Otten" wrote:
|
| Be aware that your formula is not referring to D4 and D5, but to A6

and
| B6. Are any of them #NAME?
| I assume that you have Analysis Toolpak ticked in your worksheet

Add-ins
| menu, not (just) VBA
|
| --
| Kind regards,
|
| Niek Otten
| Microsoft MVP - Excel
|
| "

| wrote in message
| | Sorry Niek doesn't work. In my experience .value and .formular1c1
| work the
| | same
| |
| | James
| |
| | " wrote:
| |
| | I am using VBA in MS project to enter information into Excel

2003.
| It
| | creates an instance and enters various dates. However if I put

the
| | Newworkdays function into a cell (e.g. xlApp.range("D6").value =
| | "=networkdays(rc[-3],rc[-2])" where D4 and D5 are recognised

dates I
| get the
| | #NAME? error message. The Add-ins for the Analysis toolpak have
| been ticked.
| |
| |
| | I tried running code to turn the analysis toolpak off and then

on
| | programatically but still the same error message
| |
| | Any ideas how this can be fixed?
| |
| | Many thanks
| |
| | James

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Bob

The original formula that I had has square brackets which means that it's a
relative to the D6. In this case A6 and B6.
xlApp.range("D6").value ="=networkdays(rc[-3],rc[-2])"

I already tried adding code to clear the addins and then restart them again
but no use.

I think that when you open a new instance of Excel from another MS App the
Addins do not get loaded. In this case I am using MS Project to load Excel.
I have just noticed that when I type in MyApp.worksheetfunction then press
the '.' button for a list of methods/property parameters (?) it doesn't list
networkdays.

Does this make sense and if so can you help?

Many thanks

James

"Niek Otten" wrote in message
Hi James,

And after you've sorted that out, check the cell references in your

formula in the worksheet; it IS A6 and B6 (Columns -3 and -2,
not Rows)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message

| James,
|
| When you use Excel via automation, the addins do not get loaded, so you

get
| the error.
|
| Force the load like so
|

| xlApp.AddIns("Analysis ToolPak").Installed = False
| xlApp.AddIns("Analysis ToolPak").Installed = True
| xlApp.Range("D6").Value = "=networkdays(rc[-3],rc[-2])"
|
| --
| HTH
|
| Bob Phillips
|
| (replace somewhere in email address with gmail if mailing direct)
|
| "
| wrote in message

| it is D4 and D5. More importantly the function name is not in

capitals
| implying that XL can't see the function name. The Analysis toolpak

has
| been
| ticked in the Add-ins
|
| Try it creating a simple macro in Word - I can give you the code if

you
| want
|

| "Niek Otten" wrote:
|
| Be aware that your formula is not referring to D4 and D5, but to A6

and
| B6. Are any of them #NAME?
| I assume that you have Analysis Toolpak ticked in your worksheet

Add-ins
| menu, not (just) VBA
|
| --
| Kind regards,
|
| Niek Otten
| Microsoft MVP - Excel
|
| "

| wrote in message
| | Sorry Niek doesn't work. In my experience .value and .formular1c1
| work the
| | same
| |
| | James
| |
| | " wrote:
| |
| | I am using VBA in MS project to enter information into Excel

2003.
| It
| | creates an instance and enters various dates. However if I put

the
| | Newworkdays function into a cell (e.g. xlApp.range("D6").value =
| | "=networkdays(rc[-3],rc[-2])" where D4 and D5 are recognised

dates I
| get the
| | #NAME? error message. The Add-ins for the Analysis toolpak have
| been ticked.
| |
| |
| | I tried running code to turn the analysis toolpak off and then

on
| | programatically but still the same error message
| |
| | Any ideas how this can be fixed?
| |
| | Many thanks
| |
| | James

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"
wrote in message ...

I think that when you open a new instance of Excel from another MS App the
Addins do not get loaded.

That ius exactly waht I said, which is why I suggested forcing the load. I
was able to reproduce your error, not from MSProject but from automation,
and by installing the addin, it worked fine.

In this case I am using MS Project to load Excel.
I have just noticed that when I type in MyApp.worksheetfunction then press
the '.' button for a list of methods/property parameters (?) it doesn't

list
networkdays.

Networkdays is not a worksheetfunction, it is part of the Analysis Toolpak,
so you won't see it, even from within excl

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Bob

I thought I had already closed and added the Add-ins but I somehow screwed
it up. Problem fixed. Sorry for being a arsey on the last email - long day!

Cheers

James