Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Microsoft Word Object

I have a wizard that creates quotes. Before we had this wizard, the person
quoting the job would have to figure out pricing by hand, then type the
values into a Quote Template in Microsoft Word. I have converted the Quote
Word Documents into seperate worksheets in my wizard. Depending on the user
input, the program will select the appropriate quote.

there is a lot of text in the Word Documents. so to clean things up, I
copied the text from Word as a Word Object. is it possible to insert some of
the values from my program into the actual word object? Most of the values
the program generates will be passed into cells in the quote sheet. but in
some cases, i want to insert one of the calculated values into a paragraph of
the Word Object.

My guess is that this will be difficult. any suggestions?

Thanks,
Steve
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Ed Ed is offline

Hi, Steve. Not sure what you mean by:
there is a lot of text in the Word Documents. so to clean things up, I
copied the text from Word as a Word Object.

Whenever I've had a project like this, I have a Word document that is called
up by my Excel code and values are inserted into the document, which is then
SavedAs a new document.

is it possible to insert some of
the values from my program into the actual word object? Most of the
values
the program generates will be passed into cells in the quote sheet.

It's very possible to pass values from an Excel worksheet into a Word
document. Your terminology of a "Word object", though, is getting in the
way of understanding your situation. In VBA coding, a "Word object" is a
coded object reference to the Word application object

but in
some cases, i want to insert one of the calculated values into a paragraph
of
the Word Object.

This is also very easily done in a Word document. All you need is some kind
of reference point in the doc - it could be a bookmark, a field, the seventh
word of the third paragraph - and the right code.

Ed

"steve" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ed,

Thanks for the quick reply!

i copied text from Word, and inside a worksheet, i did a paste special and
pasted it as a "Microsoft Office Word Document Object". the reason i used
this approach was because i thought the text was static (not going to
change). and the values from my program could just be pasted into cells
above the Text.

This is also very easily done in a Word document. All you need is some kind
of reference point in the doc - it could be a bookmark, a field, the seventh
word of the third paragraph - and the right code.

I was avoiding writing code that worked with Word, but now it looks like I
need to. I have 6 Quote Templates. to me, it seemed eaiser to store them
as seperate worksheets in my workbook, so i could access them easily based on
which one the user needed. do you think it would be better to keep them in
word?

do you have any examples you could point me to?

"steve" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Ed Ed is offline

Steve:

I don't think the "Microsoft Office Word Document Object" is going to work
as you desire. Maybe someone else here knows how to make it work (quite
possible, as I am not the greatest expert here!).

If this were my project, I think it would be a greater savings of time and
effort to do it like this:
-- Create your six different quote "templates". (Again, we have to watch
what we call things, because in Word a "template" is a specific kind of Word
document, whilst in the work world it's just a regular doc we use over and
over again.) Fill in the spaces where your quote amounts will go will
representative numbers. The idea is to make these six docs look exactly
like you want them to end up - you want the macro to insert numbers, save,
and perhaps print; you do NOT want to have to go back into them and
hand-finesse after every run (unless there is a specific reason to do so).
If numbers are presented in columns, use a table. If in a paragraph, then
put a number there for now - you can insert a bookmark in place of it later.
-- How you create your code will depend on at what point you must decide
which "quote template" you will use, and whether the choice of template
determines how the numbers are processed in Excel. If each different quote
has a different formulation process, then choosing the type will also choose
which worksheet gets the numbers and which template receives the final
numbers, and the choice must come first. If all numbers are processed using
one method and which template is simply choosing the best format for
displaying the quote and the right text to match it, then you have one
worksheet with the choice at the end. But there's no sense in writing six
different routines if all your processing is exactly the same.
-- The idea will be to get your numbers (where do they come from?), insert
them into the proper places in the worksheet(s), and then insert the answers
into appropriate template doc.

Piece of cake! 8)

Ed