Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Indirect.ext - Eek! Doesn't Work

Hi...

In cell a2 in a new workbook I have the following text string/path:

C:\Desktop\Raw\hammer.xls

In cell b2 I want the value from a cell within this file - sheet1 j12,
without opening the said file.

Is there a fast way to do this or should I leave it my kids in my will?

I had hoped to seed the first row and the fill down? This file is 100 rows
down by 35 columns wide. The indirect.ext refers to the cell rather than the
text contents which is grim.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gordon...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Barb...

Thanks for that. How can I create that very formula without having to type
the path for each file. I want the cell in b2 to read the path in a1 and
insert it automatically...somehow!

Any further help useful...

Thanks

Gordon...

"Gordon" wrote:

Hi...

In cell a2 in a new workbook I have the following text string/path:

C:\Desktop\Raw\hammer.xls

In cell b2 I want the value from a cell within this file - sheet1 j12,
without opening the said file.

Is there a fast way to do this or should I leave it my kids in my will?

I had hoped to seed the first row and the fill down? This file is 100 rows
down by 35 columns wide. The indirect.ext refers to the cell rather than the
text contents which is grim.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gordon...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Gordon

Maybe enter something like this in B2:

=INDIRECT.EXT("'" & A1 & "'Sheet1'!j12")

And then enter your path in A1.

I hope this is what you are looking for.

Conan Kelly