Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default how to resolve a printer name

I'm trying to print adress labels from a list of adresses. This works fine
on a selected printer (HP). If I try to print the same labels on a different
printer (also HP other type), the output doesn't fit.
I think this can be solved in 2 ways:
A: make all HP printers process the output in the same way

B: find out what printer type is used and change the row height according to
the printer used.

Does anyone know how to resolve this problem? Any other possible solution is
fine with me.

Bert van den Brink

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Bert,

For precision printing of labels and forms you must use
the mailmerge wizard in Word.

(easily automated.. plenty to find with google)

I've been ranting against the inprecision of Excel's printing engine
all my life. Even Excel 2007 with all the fancy graphics and previews
can still neither position nor SIZE objects and cells exactly,
as the print engine was not changed one iota and even in 2007 wont be
WYSIWYG. Excel printing is based on intel 8086 and epson fx80 :)

Row height and Column width, which in turn are based on the metrics of
the string "0123456789" in the standard font (at 72 dpi and 10 lpi).
All these conversions are then rounded or truncated and precision is
lost. (or was it simply never there?)

.... Switch printers or standard font and your sizing is all over the
place...(it may shrink or grow by 10s of pixels)

A simple test:
Insert a square rectangle (2inches x 2inches). Print it, measure it.
(try MODI/TIFF or PDF) then change the standard font and try again.

I've NEVER been able to print a square picture square with excel, where
Word or Internet Explorer have no problems.

--
keepITcool

Bert van den Brink wrote in

I'm trying to print adress labels from a list of adresses. This works
fine on a selected printer (HP). If I try to print the same labels on
a different printer (also HP other type), the output doesn't fit. I
think this can be solved in 2 ways: A: make all HP printers process
the output in the same way