Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Sorry - Pivots and Me Again!!

Hi Sorry about coming back again, but I have a question about page fields.
Is it possible to make a multiple selection from a page field? And if so,
can it be done programatically? I know it can be done if the pivot is based
on an OLAP cube but it would be great if it could be done with a pivot based
on a data range.

Any help would be really welcome.

Thanks
--
Sharon
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can drag the page field temporarily to the Row area, select the
items you want, then drag it back to the Page area.
Or, double-click on the Page field button, and in the Hide Items list,
click on items to hide. Click on hidden items to show them again.

Sharon wrote:
Hi Sorry about coming back again, but I have a question about page fields.
Is it possible to make a multiple selection from a page field? And if so,
can it be done programatically? I know it can be done if the pivot is based
on an OLAP cube but it would be great if it could be done with a pivot based
on a data range.

Any help would be really welcome.

Thanks

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Nope. You can not multi select unless the pivot is based on an OLAP cube. The
work around is to build a dynamic heirarchy structure into your source data.
It is a real pain to do though and requires refreshing the pivot each time
the hierarchy is changed...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Sharon" wrote:

Hi Sorry about coming back again, but I have a question about page fields.
Is it possible to make a multiple selection from a page field? And if so,
can it be done programatically? I know it can be done if the pivot is based
on an OLAP cube but it would be great if it could be done with a pivot based
on a data range.

Any help would be really welcome.

Thanks
--
Sharon

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'm not sure about programatically doing this but there is a manual way
to do this. If you drag your page field down to the rows section as
the first field you can click the select arrow, check or uncheck the
items you want or don't want and then drag the field back up to the
page section. The pivot will now be based on your multiple
selections.

Sharon Wrote:
Hi Sorry about coming back again, but I have a question about page
fields.
Is it possible to make a multiple selection from a page field? And if
so,
can it be done programatically? I know it can be done if the pivot is
based
on an OLAP cube but it would be great if it could be done with a pivot
based
on a data range.

Any help would be really welcome.

Thanks
--
Sharon

--
Excelenator

Excelenator's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36768
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=566060

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Oddly enough I agree with Tom. Debrah's method is very easy to do. I too use
that method all of the time. (I did not know that you could just double click
though. I always right clicked and selected Field Settings. You learn
something new every day.).

The method I described I implimented in that past (through code) to allow
selections more similar to the multi select from an OLAP cube as the users
wanted to be able to select and deselect blocks of members based on a
heirarchy structure. It is a pain to do but it works...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Sharon" wrote:

Hi Sorry about coming back again, but I have a question about page fields.
Is it possible to make a multiple selection from a page field? And if so,
can it be done programatically? I know it can be done if the pivot is based
on an OLAP cube but it would be great if it could be done with a pivot based
on a data range.

Any help would be really welcome.

Thanks
--
Sharon

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I meant the drag to a row field. I use that. I didn't know about the double
click. However, having tried it, I would have to say the answer to the OP's
original question is YES for manually.

Tom Ogilvy

"Sharon" wrote:

Hi Sorry about coming back again, but I have a question about page fields.
Is it possible to make a multiple selection from a page field? And if so,
can it be done programatically? I know it can be done if the pivot is based
on an OLAP cube but it would be great if it could be done with a pivot based
on a data range.

Any help would be really welcome.

Thanks
--
Sharon

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi All

I absolutely agree that Debra's way is really easy to do manually. However,
I needed to do it programatically so I have found that hiding unwanted items
is easier from a coding perspective.

Many thanks to you all for your help (again!!)
--
Sharon

Sharon Wrote:
Hi Sorry about coming back again, but I have a question about page
fields.
Is it possible to make a multiple selection from a page field? And if
so,
can it be done programatically? I know it can be done if the pivot is
based
on an OLAP cube but it would be great if it could be done with a pivot
based
on a data range.

Any help would be really welcome.

Thanks
--
Sharon

--
Excelenator

Excelenator's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36768
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=566060

Pivots/Charts Galway[_2_] Charts and Charting in Excel 0 May 30th 08 10:57 PM
several pivots officegirl Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 December 11th 07 07:04 PM
Pivots vqthomf Excel Programming 1 November 29th 05 06:12 PM
I would like to build macro's to do pivots or part of pivots Todd F.[_2_] Excel Programming 2 July 29th 05 03:59 PM
Pivots using other pivots and dynamic query problem lc Excel Programming 0 November 7th 03 03:02 PM