Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Macro Error Message

I posted this message a few weeks ago. I wasn't sure if I added a reply to
the old message if it would get "buried." So, I started a new one.

I recorded a macro over one year ago for a workbook that consists of many
worksheets. I have to edit the macro - I went to Tools Macro Macros
Edit and I get the following error message. "Cannot edit a macro on a hidden
workbook. Unhide the workbook using the Unhide command." This workbook is
not hidden. What else could be happening and how do you fix this problem?

Finny suggested:
Try hiding it.
Then unhiding it.
That's all I've got right now.

SyrNO said:
Is it possible that you saved the macros in a module in Personal.xls? It is
typically a "hidden" workbook, but because it's open, the macros are always
available.

I went to the file properties and checked the hidden attribute and then
unchecked it again and that didn't work. Is there another way to do this?

How do I find out whether or not I saved the macros in a module in
Personal.xls?
HELP!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Try Alt+F11 to open the VBE ("code editor") and have a look at the project
tree on the left hand side. You should be able to double-click each node in
the tree (unless its protected) to reveal the code behind. I assume most
will be empty, but you might find it that way.

Hope that helps

Best regards

John

SyrNO said:
Is it possible that you saved the macros in a module in Personal.xls? It
is
typically a "hidden" workbook, but because it's open, the macros are
always
available.

I went to the file properties and checked the hidden attribute and then
unchecked it again and that didn't work. Is there another way to do this?

How do I find out whether or not I saved the macros in a module in
Personal.xls?
HELP!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Using Alt+F11 is the way to go. However, in Tools=Macro=macros, if the
macro is in the activeworkbook, it will only show the macro name. If it is in
another workbook (such as a hidden workbook), it will show the Workbook Name
as well

ex:

Personal.xls!MyMacro

Tom Ogilvy

SyrNO said:
Is it possible that you saved the macros in a module in Personal.xls? It is
typically a "hidden" workbook, but because it's open, the macros are always
available.

I went to the file properties and checked the hidden attribute and then
unchecked it again and that didn't work. Is there another way to do this?

How do I find out whether or not I saved the macros in a module in
Personal.xls?
HELP!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Karen,
By "Hidden", Excel is refering to the workbook's state inside Excel.
This is not connected with the Hidden attribute you can set say throught
ExplorerRight clickProperties.

NickHK

"Karen" ...