Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Name Box and not picking up the correct value

I have a Named Box called CRNo which refers to cell Sheet1!$AU$2.

I then use this name to populate cells on other sheets, so I may have
cell B4 on Sheet2 set to =CRNo so that it fills with the same value as
Sheet1!$AU$2.

All straightforward so far.

Now, I have one sheet which flatly refuses to play ball. All I ever get
on screen is exactly what I type in the cell, e.g. =CRNo. It's almost
as if some recalculating is not taking place, but I don't know what is
so special about that particular sheet.
The text I have typed is identical to that on other sheets (I've even
tried a copy and paste). It just doesn't want to use the referenced
name.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Check that the cell/sheet format is not text, if so, change it to General

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"DartGuru" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a Named Box called CRNo which refers to cell Sheet1!$AU$2.

I then use this name to populate cells on other sheets, so I may have
cell B4 on Sheet2 set to =CRNo so that it fills with the same value as
Sheet1!$AU$2.

All straightforward so far.

Now, I have one sheet which flatly refuses to play ball. All I ever get
on screen is exactly what I type in the cell, e.g. =CRNo. It's almost
as if some recalculating is not taking place, but I don't know what is
so special about that particular sheet.
The text I have typed is identical to that on other sheets (I've even
tried a copy and paste). It just doesn't want to use the referenced
name.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Bob Phillips wrote:

Check that the cell/sheet format is not text, if so, change it to General

The format was already General.
Interestingly, if the cell containing the data which i am trying to
reference contains, for example, 3999, then looking at the format of
the cell that is not working, right-click - Format Cells, undeer the
Number tab, it shows category of general and a Sample of 3999.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Format the cell with the formula =CRNo as General. Then hit F2|Enter to reenter
the formula.

Just changing the formatting isn't enough.

ps...

You may want to get Jan Karel Pieterse's (with Charles Williams and Matthew
Henson) Name Manager:

You can find it at:
NameManager.Zip from http://www.oaltd.co.uk/mvp

It'll make working with names much, much easier.

DartGuru wrote:

Bob Phillips wrote:

Check that the cell/sheet format is not text, if so, change it to General

The format was already General.
Interestingly, if the cell containing the data which i am trying to
reference contains, for example, 3999, then looking at the format of
the cell that is not working, right-click - Format Cells, undeer the
Number tab, it shows category of general and a Sample of 3999.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dave Peterson wrote:
Format the cell with the formula =CRNo as General. Then hit F2|Enter to reenter
the formula.

Just changing the formatting isn't enough.

ps...

You may want to get Jan Karel Pieterse's (with Charles Williams and Matthew
Henson) Name Manager:

You can find it at:
NameManager.Zip from http://www.oaltd.co.uk/mvp

It'll make working with names much, much easier.

I hadn't seen the MVP site before, very helpful thanks.

However, F2|Enter didn't make any difference :-(

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Make sure you format the cell as General--(just to make me happy!), then use
F2|Enter.

And make sure you're not looking at formulas:

tools|options|view tab|uncheck formulas

DartGuru wrote:

Dave Peterson wrote:
Format the cell with the formula =CRNo as General. Then hit F2|Enter to reenter
the formula.

Just changing the formatting isn't enough.

ps...

You may want to get Jan Karel Pieterse's (with Charles Williams and Matthew
Henson) Name Manager:

You can find it at:
NameManager.Zip from http://www.oaltd.co.uk/mvp

It'll make working with names much, much easier.

I hadn't seen the MVP site before, very helpful thanks.

However, F2|Enter didn't make any difference :-(

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dave Peterson wrote:
And make sure you're not looking at formulas:

tools|options|view tab|uncheck formulas
Dave Peterson

A-ha.
One of those light-bulb moments.
That was it.

Thanks very much. I can stop scratching my head now.