Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Word VBA link to Excel

In MS Word, I wanted to create a VBA macro code to link to a specific
cell of text from Excel, but to break the link after the data is
inserted from Excel.

I would appreciate any help.

I have been able to do this in Excel, but unable to do so with Word.

--
Borg
Borg's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36396

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Option Explicit
Dim filePath, oExcel, oSheet
filePath = "c:\Test.xls"
Set oExcel = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
oExcel.Workbooks.Open(filepath)
Set oSheet = oExcel.ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(1)
oSheet.Name = "sheet1"
MsgBox oSheet.Cells(1, 1)
oExcel.DisplayAlerts = False
oExcel.ActiveWorkbook.Close
oExcel.Quit
set oSheet = Nothing
Set oExcel = Nothing

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Borg" wrote:

| In MS Word, I wanted to create a VBA macro code to link to a specific
| cell of text from Excel, but to break the link after the data is
| inserted from Excel.
|
| I would appreciate any help.
|
| I have been able to do this in Excel, but unable to do so with Word.
|

| --
| Borg
| Borg's Profile:
| View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=561797

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks alot. :) :) :)

--
Borg
Borg's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36396
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=561797

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You're welcome.

BTW you won't need the line;

oSheet.Name = "sheet1"

"Borg" wrote:

| Thanks alot. :) :) :)
|

| --
| Borg
| Borg's Profile:
| View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=561797

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The linking to Excel works perfectly. But instead of a Message Box, ho
would I insert the text from the cell into the Word file?

Thanks

--
Bor
Borg's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=3639

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I don't know the object model for word but you can just make the object,
place holder, or variable you intend to use in your word VBA equal to
oSheet.Cells(1, 1)

"Borg" wrote:
| The linking to Excel works perfectly. But instead of a Message Box, how
| would I insert the text from the cell into the Word file?
|
| Thanks.
|

| --
| Borg
| Borg's Profile:
| View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=561797

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank you sir,

With your help, I played around with your VBA code and got it to do
what I intended.

Here is what I modified it to:

Sub test()
Dim filePath, oExcel, oSheet
filePath = "C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\Book1.xls"
Set oExcel = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
oExcel.Workbooks.Open (filePath)
Set oSheet = oExcel.ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(1)
Selection = oSheet.Cells(1, 1)
Selection.Copy
Selection.Paste
oExcel.DisplayAlerts = False