Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default NavigateArrow parameter -- meaning?

Hi,

I am trying to use the NavigateArrow method in VBA and I am not clear on the
meaning of a parameter for this method -- that of "ArrowNumber". VBA help
for Excel 2003 notes that "ArrowNumber...corresponds to the numbered
referenced in the cell's formula." Could anyone provide some additional
context on the meaning of this statement?

I tried using something similar to this code "Selection.NavigateArrow(True,
1)" in which the selected cell contained the formula "=B11+B13". I assigned
a variable to the above code and "debug.printed" the address of the
referenced cell, expecting to see "B11" as this is the first cell reference,
but instead VBA returned "B13". Why is this the case?

Thanks in advance for help with this issue.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Scott,
Never used this functionality, but from what I can understand if
TowardPrecedent=True, ArrowNumber relates the cell arguments in the
formula.
Cell C1, formula "=A1+B1"
Range("C1").NavigateArrow(True,1).Select A1 selected
Range("C1").NavigateArrow(True,2).Select B1 selected

I suppose you would have to parse the .Formula, or keep looping
Range("C1").NavigateArrow(True,i) until it errors.

You have found a use for this feature ?

NickHK

"Scott P" wrote in message

I am trying to use the NavigateArrow method in VBA and I am not clear on

the
meaning of a parameter for this method -- that of "ArrowNumber". VBA help
for Excel 2003 notes that "ArrowNumber...corresponds to the numbered
referenced in the cell's formula." Could anyone provide some additional
context on the meaning of this statement?

I tried using something similar to this code

"Selection.NavigateArrow(True,
1)" in which the selected cell contained the formula "=B11+B13". I

assigned
a variable to the above code and "debug.printed" the address of the
referenced cell, expecting to see "B11" as this is the first cell

reference,
but instead VBA returned "B13". Why is this the case?

Thanks in advance for help with this issue.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Scott,
And if TowardPrecedent=False, you have no way to tell how Descendents there
are, so I guess you have loop until it errors.

NickHK

"Scott P" wrote in message

I am trying to use the NavigateArrow method in VBA and I am not clear on

the
meaning of a parameter for this method -- that of "ArrowNumber". VBA

help
for Excel 2003 notes that "ArrowNumber...corresponds to the numbered
referenced in the cell's formula." Could anyone provide some additional
context on the meaning of this statement?

I tried using something similar to this code

"Selection.NavigateArrow(True,
1)" in which the selected cell contained the formula "=B11+B13". I

assigned
a variable to the above code and "debug.printed" the address of the
referenced cell, expecting to see "B11" as this is the first cell

reference,
but instead VBA returned "B13". Why is this the case?

Thanks in advance for help with this issue.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for both of your replies, Nick. I thought that the Method would work
as you suggested in your first post, but in my test case, it did just the
opposite, so I am not sure how the Method determines what "ArrowNumber" means.

I am looping through as you suggest. Thanks again.