Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Solver statements XLM --- Excel 2003

Hi I still use many macros written over the years in the old XLM
language. For the most part they appear to work OK in the newest Excel
version. The exception are the statements calling for Solver
operations like Solver.OK, Solver.Solve, etc, they always cause error
messages. Can someone please tell me if there is a different syntax
for these that will work within XLM macros in Excel 2003?

Alternatively, is there an easy way to translate an entire XLM macro
into VB? I don't know VB and certainly don't have the time to learn it
and then to re-write all the macros. All help would be greatly
appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

There is no easy translation path. VBA operates fundamentally differently
than XLM macros. I have never seen anyone mention any type of automated
translation facility.

I rarely use Solver, but I think I recall someone saying the solver moved
away from R1C1 addressing to A1 style. Again, that isn't authoritative
information, but something you can try with a simple problem and see if that
works.

Tom Ogilvy

" wrote:

Hi I still use many macros written over the years in the old XLM
language. For the most part they appear to work OK in the newest Excel
version. The exception are the statements calling for Solver
operations like Solver.OK, Solver.Solve, etc, they always cause error
messages. Can someone please tell me if there is a different syntax
for these that will work within XLM macros in Excel 2003?

Alternatively, is there an easy way to translate an entire XLM macro
into VB? I don't know VB and certainly don't have the time to learn it
and then to re-write all the macros. All help would be greatly
appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Tom Ogilvy wrote:
There is no easy translation path. VBA operates fundamentally differently
than XLM macros. I have never seen anyone mention any type of automated
translation facility.

I rarely use Solver, but I think I recall someone saying the solver moved
away from R1C1 addressing to A1 style. Again, that isn't authoritative
information, but something you can try with a simple problem and see if that
works.

Tom Ogilvy

Thanks for your reply, Tom.