Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Need to make a vbs, but dont know how....

Hello All,

I need to create a VBS that will change the setting in excel (ignore
other applications) to false, but I dont really know how to do this.

I have played around with a .inf file someone posted on here but cannot
get that to work either....it says installation failed..(ill put it
below, in case it can be changed to make it work but I dont know how to
do that either!)

' [Version]
Signature=$CHICAGO$

' [DefaultInstall]
BitReg=Bit.Settings

' [Bit.Settings]
HKCU,Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Excel\Options, Options,0x00000001,0x40,0

(the above is exactly as I have it, i put the commas in because thats
what I thought was going wrong, but apparantly not.

Any help at all would be much appreciated.

Duncan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

A few questions:
What setting do you want to change in Excel?
Do you want to create a VBScript? [Note - vbscript is nothing to do with
Excel and the vba language that Excel uses]

Post back with some answers and I'll try to help

--
www.alignment-systems.com

"Duncan" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Setting: application.ignoreremoterequests = false

vbscript: yes, because if i do it simply via a macro then users wouldnt
be able to perform this by clicking on a shortcut, cos it wouldnt load
the shortcut up with the setting set to true so catch 22 situation!

Q: I didnt know vbscript was different to vba, just thought it was a
differant version of the same thing because the commands appeared
similar to me....shows my ignorance really doesnt it!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Duncan

"Duncan" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ok, so create a script like this (I am not using an editor, so you'll have to
verify the syntax yourself)

Dim myExcelApplication

set myExcelApplication = GetObject("Excel.Application")

myExcelApplication.ignoreremoterequests = false

myExcelApplication.quit
set myExcelApplication = nothing

Have a go with that...

If this helps then please mark the reply as helpful

--
www.alignment-systems.com

"Duncan" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

John / Anyone,

Im not really sure that I can verify the syntax and im getting a syntax
error on line 2.

I dont think I have a vbscript editor, I usually use notepad, but I
pasted it into Excel vba and it didnt show up red.

Confused........

Can you advise any further?

Duncan

"Duncan" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I have just changed line 2, it now looks like:

Dim myExcelApplication
Set XLSA = GetObject(, "Excel.Application")
XLSA.IgnoreRemoteRequests = False
XLSA.Quit
Set XLSA = Nothing

And now it gives the answer, "activex component cannot create object"

.....I have very limited knowledge of vbs files, it worked when I ran it
through a macro....

Duncan

"Duncan" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If Excel is not already running, GetObject will fail. maybe you need
CreateObject.
Also, if you set this to false, you know that a new instance of Excel will
be created if a user opens an .xls from Explorer, as this uses DDE.
Is that your aim ?
It will have no effect on COM calls, as with GetObject etc.

NickHK

ups.com...

------

"Duncan" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Nick,

My aim is solely to have something that will change the setting to
false because one of our problematic programs will leave this setting
at true sometimes when it crashes, What I wanted to do was leave a file
that they could just double click and fix it becase all the user will
know is "My spreadsheet wont open anymore..." and we can say "If excel
doesnt open then try double clicking this file first and then try
opening again before you cry for help"

I dont understand very much at all, perhaps you could suggest
something?, Im going to try changing the vbs to "CreateObject" and see
if that works....

Duncan

NickHK wrote:

If Excel is not already running, GetObject will fail. maybe you need
CreateObject.
Also, if you set this to false, you know that a new instance of Excel will
be created if a user opens an .xls from Explorer, as this uses DDE.
Is that your aim ?
It will have no effect on COM calls, as with GetObject etc.

NickHK

ups.com...

"Duncan" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Nick,

Ignore my last post, I got it work with your suggestion. Many Many
thanks! (its been bugging me for days now)

The VBScript file just has this code:

Dim myExcelApplication
Set XLSA = CreateObject("excel.application")
XLSA.IgnoreRemoteRequests = False
XLSA.Quit
Set XLSA = Nothing

If I put this in the server startup directory then the problem should
never ever arise again.

Many thanks to you both for your help.

Duncan

NickHK wrote:

If Excel is not already running, GetObject will fail. maybe you need
CreateObject.
Also, if you set this to false, you know that a new instance of Excel will
be created if a user opens an .xls from Explorer, as this uses DDE.
Is that your aim ?
It will have no effect on COM calls, as with GetObject etc.

NickHK

ups.com...