Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Add-In

1) What are the advantages/disadvantages of add-ins versus VBA macros?

2) Will an add-in prevent others from viewing my code?

3) I have received an add-in from the net and was wondering if I could view
the code somehow? I would like to do this for two basic reasons. First, I
would like to confirm/verify that it doesn't contain any viruses. Second, I
would like to understand how it works.

Thanks in advance,

Christmas May
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

1. Add-ins contain VBA Macros in the majority of cases. An add-in is no more
than a workbook that has been saved as an add-in.

2. They won't see the macros or code in ToolsMacroMacros but will be able to
see the code in the Visual Basic Editor.

Which brings us to.................

3. Hit ALT + F11 then CTRL + r to open Project Explorer. Select the Add-in and
expand to see the Modules. Double-click on a module to open it and see/edit the
macros and code.

Seeing the code will not tell you if it has a virus. Your AV will do that when
you scan the add-in file before installing it.

To prevent others from seeing the code you can password protect the add-in
project.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP