Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
MDW MDW is offline

Default Quirky Problem With Links & Excel Versions

I've got an Excel file that links to two other files. No big deal, right?
What I'm finding is that, recently, if I open this file by itself (the files
being linked to aren't open), the cells where links are - and any
calculations based on linked cells - return the #VALUE! error. This happens
even if I tell it not to update links.

The moment I open the two other files, that error goes away. The "Save
external link data" box IS checked on this file.

The file was initially authored using XL2k. I made some heavy modifications
with it using XL2k3. However, some of the users are still on XL2k - could
that be part of the problem? Where else can I look?
--
Hmm...they have the Internet on COMPUTERS now!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

xl2002+ likes to recalculate any workbooks that were created in previous
versions. In earlier versions of excel, if you answer No to the update links
prompt, the existing values are kept. In xl2002+, you get those errors.

Jim Rech posted a registry tweak:
http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...GP11.phx .gbl

MDW wrote:

I've got an Excel file that links to two other files. No big deal, right?
What I'm finding is that, recently, if I open this file by itself (the files
being linked to aren't open), the cells where links are - and any
calculations based on linked cells - return the #VALUE! error. This happens
even if I tell it not to update links.

The moment I open the two other files, that error goes away. The "Save
external link data" box IS checked on this file.

The file was initially authored using XL2k. I made some heavy modifications
with it using XL2k3. However, some of the users are still on XL2k - could
that be part of the problem? Where else can I look?
--
Hmm...they have the Internet on COMPUTERS now!

--

Dave Peterson