Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default replace VBA run-time error message with custom message

Used J-Walks Menu maker to create menu of frequently used Spread-Sheets.
This add-in will be sent to all our salesmen.
The menu lists ALL of the available Sp.Sheets, BUT not every salesman gets
every Sp.Sheet.
When a non-existant Sp.Sheet is selected from menu, error message pops up:
"C:\ .................... (file Name), could not be found. Check spelling

I'd like to NOT have this message come up, but replace it with a custom
message,
something like: The requested file is not on your available list. Please
select the correct template.
Therefo Can I deactivate/delete the VBA message? If yes, How?
How can I program in a message that tests for the requested Sp. Sheet, and
selects the Sp. Sheet, if exists, or else comes up with my custom message?
I hope this makes sense.
Help!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Further:
The code that selects the files are as per this sample:
Sub BB_Chassis()
Workbooks.Open ("C:\Contracts\BB-Pup-Chassis-2006_R0C0.xls")
End Sub

I wondering if an If-Then_Else could somehow be used.
If Exits, then select/open Work Book
Else, Call Message
Something like that?

"BEEJAY" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

SLOWLY waking up this lovely Friday:
Now have:
If Exists("C:\Contracts|BB-Pup-Chassis-2006_R0C0.xls") Then
Workbooks.Open ("C:\Contracts\BB-Pup-Chassis-2006_R0C0.xls")
Else: Call NotAvailable

the 1st line comes up with a complie error - Sub or Function not defined.
Now I am truly Stuck.
Help Please.

End Sub

"BEEJAY" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If I don't have many to check, I do it inline.

dim testStr as string
teststr = ""
on error resume next
teststr = dir("C:\Contracts\BB-Pup-Chassis-2006_R0C0.xls")
on error goto 0

if teststr = "" then
'not found
else
'was found
end if

Watch you're typing, too. You have a vertical bar instead of a backslash in
that first line.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for your response.
I now have the following, but it comes up with
Compile error - Else without IF
What am I missing here?

Dim testStr As String
testStr = ""
On Error Resume Next
testStr = Dir("C:\Contract Templates\BB-Pup-Chassis-2006_R1C0.xls")
On Error GoTo 0

If testStr = "" Then Call NotAvailable
Else: Workbooks.Open ("C:\Contract
Templates\BB-Pup-Chassis-2006_R1C0.xls")
End If
Thank-you

"BEEJAY" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If testStr = "" Then
Call NotAvailable
Else
Workbooks.Open ("C:\Contract Templates\BB-Pup-Chassis-2006_R1C0.xls")
End If

"BEEJAY" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dave, Thank-you

I have one more problem, now.
If possible, I need to open the File(s) as Read Only
My attempts shown below.
F8 gives me: Compile error, Syntax error
Other times, the curser stays on 'AS', and message is Compile error,
expect End of Statement.
I'm positive that I'm missing the obvious (again), but...... Help?!!

testStr = Dir("C:\Contract Templates\HP-Truck-2006_R1C0.xls")
On Error GoTo 0
If testStr = "" Then
Call NotAvailable

Else: Workbooks.Open ("C:\Contract Templates\HP-Truck-2006_R1C0.xls",
[ReadOnly]) As Workbook

"BEEJAY" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Take a look at .open in VBA's help. You'll see that it has a parm to tell excel
to open the file readonly:

If testStr = "" Then
Call NotAvailable
Else
Workbooks.Open "C:\Contract Templates\BB-Pup-Chassis-2006_R1C0.xls", _
readonly:=true
End If

There are other options for that .open statement, too.

"BEEJAY" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sorry, it just doesn't seem to stop.
The previous stuff works fine, thanks to your input.

The following is in "ThisWorkBook"

Option Explicit
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
' If Active Workbook is in Read-Only State then
' Call SaveAs_Message, Else End Procedure
If ThisWorkbook.ReadOnly = True _
Then Call SaveAs_Message _
Else: End
End Sub
When I open the file thru File, Open, ............. and select Cancel,
the file disappears (just as I want).
When I open the file thru my custom menu, then Cancel, I get
"Application Defined or Object Defined Error.
If I select OK, everything works just fine

I don't know where to look for this problem.
Can I trouble you again?

"BEEJAY" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The following is the SaveAs_Message, as well as the Other Message
the 1st one refers to:

Option Explicit
Sub SaveAs_Message()
Dim Msg As String, Title As String
Dim Config As Integer, Ans As Integer
Msg = " This is a 'READ ONLY' File"
Msg = Msg & vbNewLine & vbNewLine
Msg = Msg & vbNewLine & vbNewLine
Msg = Msg & " In order to Proceed, Please select 'OK'
NOW!!"
Msg = Msg & vbNewLine & vbNewLine
Msg = Msg & " The Save As Dialog Box will pop up"
Msg = Msg & vbNewLine & vbNewLine
Msg = Msg & " Be SURE to Change the File Name"
Msg = Msg & vbNewLine & vbNewLine
Msg = Msg & "Selecting CANCEL will STOP this Process and CLOSE
this file "
Title = "Walinga Inc W A R N I N G ! !"
Config = vbOKCancel + vbCritical
Ans = MsgBox(Msg, Config, Title)
If Ans = vbOK Then Call SaveAs_Process
If Ans = vbCancel Then ThisWorkbook.Close
End Sub

Sub SaveAs_Process()
' Bring up the Save As Dialog Box
Application.Dialogs(xlDialogSaveAs).Show
End Sub

I hope this helps.

"BEEJAY" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I didn't have any trouble--but I didn't use your custom menu.

Maybe you could set a breakpoint in your code and use your custom menu to start
the macro--but step through it after the breakpoint.