Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Cannot destroy Word Object in Excel

I'm using a Word object to write information to the registry from within
an Excel Macro (this is in order to generate a PDF file using CutePDF).
Everything works fine but the Winword object is still resident in
memory.

The code is as follows:

Function SetRegKeys(Section as String, Key as String, KeyValue) as
Boolean
Dim wrd As Word.Application
SetRegistrySetting = False
Set wrd = New Word.Application
On Error Resume Next
wrd.System.PrivateProfileString("", Section, Key) = CStr(KeyValue)
On Error GoTo 0
Set wrd = Nothing
SetRegistrySetting = True
End Function

It's probably self evident but I should add that I am no VBA expert.

Thanks

--
dai50
dai50's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32741

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You need to close the application before you set it to nothing...

wrd.close
set wrd = nothing

--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"dai50" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'm curious as why you are using Word to write to the Registry, if this code
is in Excel.
If VBA Savesetting cannot save to the correct key, the API versions
certainly can.

NickHK

"dai50" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Cannot destroy Word Object in Excel
Nick
This is the only method I found (on a forum) to write to the Registry.
I was also perplexed as to why a word object was used and would prefer
a less convoluted process. I found that using
Wrd.Application.Quit

prior to

set wrd = nothing

removed word from memory and resolved the problem but I'll check your
suggestion - so may be here soon.

Many Thanks

Dai