Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default xlb as Addin ?

Hi all,

About once every week or two, i loose all my altered & custom toolbars
etc., back to the default.
So i have to get my backup xlb and copy it back to the Excel STARTU
folder,
which works but is a PITA.

Soooo i was thinking if i made the xlb into a Addin then this wouldn'
happen.

Are there problems associated with this?

--
Desert Piranh

Desert Piranha's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=2893
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=55174

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Desert,

Wonder why are you losing your xlb once a week, occasionally occurs but not
that often.

But your xlb doesn't belong in your Startup folder, at least AFAIK. Perhaps
that's why you have problems. I'd suggest, with Excel closed, search for all
*.xlb files and rename say *.bak. Start and close Excel. Search *.xlb again
and you should find a new default xlb. Delete that and replace with a good
backup in same location and same name as the file you just deleted.

With code, say in an addin, can't directly replace your faulty xlb with your
backup while Excel is running. Best you could do manually or with code is to
reset default toolbars and merge (load) your backup. Or reset the toolbars
and recreate your custom menus etc with code.

Could write a simple *.vbs to replace faulty xlb with a backup when Excel is
closed.

Are you sure your backup is good, if more than 100kb even heavily customized
it probably isn't.

Regards,
Peter T

"Desert Piranha"
<Desert.Piranha.29dm2o_1150261804.1795@excelforu m-nospam.com wrote in
message news:Desert.Piranha.29dm2o_1150261804.1795@excelfo rum-nospam.com...

Hi all,

About once every week or two, i loose all my altered & custom toolbars,
etc., back to the default.
So i have to get my backup xlb and copy it back to the Excel STARTUP
folder,
which works but is a PITA.

Soooo i was thinking if i made the xlb into a Addin then this wouldn't
happen.

Are there problems associated with this??

--
Desert Piranha

Desert Piranha's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=551748

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Peter T Wrote:
[...]

Hi Peter,

As for why i am loosing it, i have no clue. I don't have any problems
with Excel (2000).
It will be fine, and then sometimes when i open it, its all back to
default.
Oh, and i'm not running any code that will reset it to default.

Luckly i back up everything, so i always have one to copy back, which
always works ok.
Oh by the way .xlb is 1970kb.

This is the folder where it was, and i have put my back up in here
C:\Documents and Settings\MyName\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel

It looks like the Addin isn't a good solution, so i will just keep
doing what i am doing..

Thx very much for you expertise

--
Desert Piranha

Desert Piranha's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28934
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=551748

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If your .xlb file is close to 2 meg in size, delete it and recreate it.

Then backup that newly created *.xlb file.

My toolbar file got as large as 400-500kb (IIRC). Then I saw some messages that
described their toolbars in the 10-20kb size.

I deleted mine, recreated it and it's about 16k.

You may have better luck after you do this.

Desert Piranha wrote:

Peter T Wrote:
[...]

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

<snip

Oh by the way .xlb is 1970kb.

2mg! your xlb is bloated and possibly the cause of your problems. Painful
though it might be scrap it and make a new one. Post back the file size once
you've re-created it.

Regards,
Peter T

VBA Addin Raj Excel Programming 1 March 23rd 05 10:16 AM
Remove Excel AddIn from AddIn List !! Help carl Excel Programming 2 December 8th 03 03:36 PM
Addin Peter Pantus Excel Programming 4 October 11th 03 07:40 PM
AddIn Robin Clay[_2_] Excel Programming 0 September 10th 03 11:36 AM
AddIn Robin Clay[_2_] Excel Programming 6 September 8th 03 11:08 AM